General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C issues - update - the problem continues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: A/C issues - updated - problem continues!!!

OK Mix,,,,,,let's figure out this fan ...........first off chk the fuse in the underhood fuse box ,, fuse # 34 , 15 amps.. if fuse is no good replace and see if fan comes on

if fuse is good and fan still does not come on.....
turn the key on,,

go to the condensor fan relay, it is located on rt side . top of radiator.., there are 4 wires,, white,, blue/yellow.. green.. yellow/white..

you need a test lite to chk for power ... chk to make sure you get power at the ,,,white wire and yellow/white wires.... chk for a good ground on the green wire... .. if you got all of those,,
chk to see if you get power at the blue/yellow....... if no power
use a paper clip and jump the white and the blue/yellow wires together.....
if fan comes on you got a bad condensor fan relay...
if you get power there ,,and get no power at the fan motor plug wire of the same color you got a wiring problem from relay to fan motor plug ..

try this and post the results..
By the way the plug that looks like it is jumped DO NOT do anything with that,, that's is the diodes , it should have a green and red/white wire going to it

Old 06-24-2006, 04:51 PM

Okay desert,
Here's what I have found. I never got to the test light part because something's very amiss with this car's A/C system. There is NO condensor fan relay. The plug I was referring to that was "jumped" IS actually the condensor fan relay plug. It looks like somebody at some point decided it would be better to not have a relay I suppose. The other relay is the compressor clutch relay. I pulled up the wiring diagram this morning and dug into it and started studying the circuits. I pulled the compressor clutch relay and installed it on the condensor fan relay plug and the fan still didn't come on... so something's screwy in the wiring somewhere. For the time being, I installed a quick connector between the positive compressor clutch lead and the positive lead going to the fan. This works, but I'm concerned about the long term effects of having it this way. What I will ultimately probably do instead of trying to find out where the circuit is messed up is just install a new relay straight off the battery and use the lead from the compressor clutch to activate it. Let me know what you think...

Thanks a million for the help too...

Old 06-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you cannot give direct battery power to the relay,,, it will keep that component energized and it won't turn off.. ( Plus that's not my way to fix things , Diagnose, Diagnose,Diagnose and repair properly ) , but if so you choose i cannot force you to do any different

get the test lite and chk for power and ground on the wires i asked you to,, if you tell me the results i can try to help you fix this properly

the relay fan plus should have 4 wires going to it.. the colors are the ones i wrote on the post before..

Old 06-25-2006, 12:43 AM

I agree... I would much rather repair it correctly, however, with a 2-month old and the friggin' in-laws in town every weekend it gets difficult to do anything anymore it seems. What I did today was just a quick fix. I will break out the test light (maybe tomorrow) and see what I can come up with. I DO appreciate your help...

Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 PM
mudeater18
Unregistered
Default RE: A/C issues - update - the problem continues!!!

Desert Honda, I need help too. My problem is similar to nixalots. My Fan locked up because the bearing went out. i replaced the fan motor(aftermarket, wire colors did not match) I may have wired it backwards the first time. After getting the 2 fan motor wires correct, fans work fine, but A/C no longer operates. the problem I have found with a test light and continuity tester is that the red/blue wire on the clutch relay does not have a ground. i can jump the two wires for the relay(i forget the colors) and the fan clutch applies. the 3rd wire has 12volts, but unless probe the red/blue wire from the back side and ground it to the body. the clutch wont engage. What could I have damaged by crossing the fan wires ? That's when this all started. Both fans operate when the a/c is on (by the jumper ground) and both operate when the temp sender reaches temperature. I followed a trouble shooting guide and it points toward the ECM. All fuses, relays and switch on dash check out fine. Can you tell me where is the ECM located? The diode ? Which fuse is 34( cant find 34 anywhere on my fuse box diagram? THANKS FOR ANY HELP. DAVID 859-200-2410

Old 06-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Default RE: A/C issues - update - the problem continues!!!

the fuses he is reffering to are under the hood of the car. If you haven't checked them yet I'd try that...