General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C motor working but not blowing out air.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A/C motor working but not blowing out air.

I bought a 1995 Man. Honda Accord about a year ago to keep my 94 manual company and when I bought it the A/C blew cold but not very strongly. I figured that the blower was old and thought myself correct when about two months ago it died. I bought a new motor, installed it and when I turned on the air it blew out even less air than before, no matter what setting you have it on. When I push the outside air intake button it gets stronger but it still blows so lightly. With the recirculating air button pushed, that closes the outside vent, almost zero air blows.
It blows softly out of all of the vents, not just the front. My side arm that controls which vents blow works, and just looking at the front of the windshield wiper cover I don't see any debris blocking that, and especially since the air does blow harder when I have that vent button on.
When you remove the glove compartment, you can see the little door that opens and closes to let in or block air and on that door is a filter. That filter looks dirty, but it looks the same as my other honda's filter and that car's air blows nice and hard.
I also compared the speed of both fans in each car and they are the same.
I am about to pull off the dash and see if there isn't some nest or something blocking air but I don't know if I could even get inside the air ducts to look. I don't really want to take anything apart until I can verify where the problem could be.
Any suggestions are appreciated since I really don't know anything about the A/C duct system.
Thank you all ahead of time! You guys have solved many of my problems.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest removing the blower and attempting to inspect the evaporator face. A mirror and light may be necessary. Dirt/oil (from leak) buildup on the evap can obstruct air flow and prevent good cooling. Even w/o a leak dirt/dust builds on the evap. There is no replaceable filter. I think you're seeing the foam seal on the outside/recirculate air selection door.

I don't think replaceable cabin air filter began until 2000 or later.

If evaporator is dirty, it can be removed fairly easily, but system has to be discharged to allow disconnection of evap hi/lo connections.

good luck

Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Looked

I took out the blower and looked up inside and I only see two "filters"/flaps that open and close based on whether I have the recirculating air button pushed. I have put two pictures so you can see what I see. I am assuming that the air comes in from the outside from the top and so when the vents are open there doesn't seem to be any obstruction, and yet I still don't have much force from the fan. when the outside air vent is closed I have almost zero air coming out.

I uploaded two photos. One is of the outside air vent open, and the other, closed.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Pictures didn't upload

The pictures can be found at: (replace <period> for a ".")

pinterest<period>com/pin/554998354049726492

pinterest<period>com/pin/554998354049726497/

Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM

The evaporator is "downstream" of the fresh air/recirculate door. If blower is blowing normally and blower cage is good, then blockage is likely in evaporator. No way to fix but remove IMO.

Were you not able to get an eye on the evaporator face w/ blower removed?

good luck

Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I wasn't able to see the evaporator because I thought you meant I just had to look up through the hole where the blower fits, but you're saying that I need to look up and then stick a mirror so I can see down the duct to the evaporator face? Is it even possible to see it because I don't know if I will be able to fit a mirror up there. And as I said before I don't know much about the a/c system and so with there being little air flow with either buttons pushed and the same flow of air coming out of all of the vents does that point to a clogged evap coil or are there other possibilities I could check first? Thanks for all your time!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 PM

I don't know of any other reason for low air flow except clogged evaporator.

Yes, evap is at 90 degrees to blower opening so a mirror is likely required. Shine light on mirror and you may be able to see evap face.

good luck

Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Evap Coil

Okay, so I did get a look at the face of the evaporator coil and it has a couple of spots that are a little dirty, but 95% of the face looks clear. Could it look pretty clear if it was blocked, or would there be a lot of visible blockage like leaves and dirt?
I also talked with a mechanic who is going to use his little fiber-optic camera to look down the vents to see if there isn't a possibility of a rat or dirt-dobber's nest blocking the vents. I will let you know if we find anything. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

I'll ask a dumb question - when you got the new blower motor. Did it come with a plug on it or two wires that you had to "splice in". Where I'm going, is it possible that the motor is spinning the wrong direction?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Blockage is an accumulation of dust and dirt. It may be caused by evap leakage which causes dirt/dust to stick to the AC lubricant.

I've never had a blocked evap and one's I removed had some buildup, but air flow was OK from blower.

Do the vent selction buttons work and direct air flow to correct vents? Any change in air flow when different vents are selected?

good luck

Quick Reply: A/C motor working but not blowing out air.