General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C Not Working??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Please don't leave the jumper in place. (If that's what you meant.) The pressure switch is in there to prevent the compressor from destroying itself. If it's a defective pressure switch, fix it. If the pressure is actually wrong, fix that. You dont wire the circuit-breakers closed in your home's fusebox, do ya...?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM

LOL nope, no jumpers left in place I didn't leave it in place @ all. It didn't initially appear to work, so I removed it.... and now I'm back to square one.

This is the odd thing... it worked for two days after I tried to jumper it, then it went out again. Now nothing. I'm once again @ my wits end and am fighting the urge to start throwing parts @ it LOL

I'm going to review the FSM yet again........

Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yes check the manual.
1. Has the "leak" gotten to where it is low again.
2. For grins, the "trick" of jumping it then it working agian? Back to a loose connection that "somewhow" works after forcing the voltage thru the system...again don't like this but still not sure how it started to work again the first time.
Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 AM

I couldn't do much the last week, but I am getting closer! There are 3 white wires coming from the 34 fuse. One goes to the radiator control module behind the glove box. I haven't checked that wire yet. The other two go to the compressor clutch and condensor fan relays. The white wire on both relays reads 5-6 volts, so I tracked the white wires thru the AC wiring harness. Both white wires coming from the left engine compartment wiring harness (which feeds the AC wiring harness) read 5-6 volts. Now I'm trying to trace the wires back further. I'm not 100% sure where the wires go once the snake around the fender well and back into the body.

My next question is, what's between the left engine compartment wiring harness and the under-hood main fuse box?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Okay. The white wire going to the radiator control fan module checks out & has 12v going to it. Is anyone familar with the main wiring harness that runs thru the dash?? I especially need to know at what point the white wire going from the fuse box to the AC wiring harness splits (if it does). My best guess is that I've got a broken wire somewhere between the left engine compartment and the fuse box....

Edit: Could it possibly be the AC diode?? That's about the only other compoment I haven't checked, and something's causing a drop in voltage. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to cut the white wires going to the condenser fan and compressor clutch relays, and splice them back to the white wire coming out of the under-hood fuse box. There's no way I'm gonna be able to trace the wires thru the dash.... What actually pulls the relays in?? If I splice the wires, I want to make sure the pressure switch will still function properly. Also, why would it come back on and work okay for a couple days (like it did a few weeks back)?? Is that more likey a syptom of wiring or a faulty component?? Could it be the ECM?? I've gone thru the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting section of the FSM, and am completely out of ideas!!

Last edited by dalejamin; 08-02-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Possible Brain Fart
Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Default Update

I tentatively have cold AC!! I rewired the white wire like I was thinking about doing. The radiator fan & condensor fan run with the AC switch on, and don't when it's off. I can hear the compressor engage when I hit the AC switch, so all seems to be functioning properly Here's hoping that did it!!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

If you wired the compressor directly with the switch, don't leave it like that. The compressor MUST cycle on & off based on system pressures & temperatures. If the compressor runs 100% of the time you can get into lots of trouble (excessive pressures).

Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure about '94, but a couple years later, the AC compressor is actually controlled by the ECU based on pressure switches & evaporator temperature.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Jim: I think they jumped the white(power) wire from the #34 fuse to the relay. I think the ecu sends the grround for this circut.
Dalejamin: one thing, I can't help with "where the wires go" but you might lift the underhood fuse panel ( I think that is where #34 is) and make sure they are ok coming out the back side of the panel...?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I wasn't sure about 1994 (don't have a wiring drawing). Just wanted to make sure the compressor wasn't engaged 24/7 - that would be dangerous.

Quick Reply: A/C Not Working??