General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/c problem after swap was done

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Default A/c problem after swap was done

Hello guys,

about a year ago i swapped a 98 h22a engine into my 1998 Honda Accord Dx 4doors 4cyl. The person switched my obd2 to obd1 in the process.

Since it was winter and i didnt use my A/C. Before my swap the a/c was working perfect. Ever since I did the swap and that i finally turn on my a/c,everytime i put on the A/C that car stalls at a stop sign. The idle stays steady but the car just stalls if i dont press on accelerator. When im driving on the highway the A/C works just fine but as soon as i let go of the gas when i have to stop at a light or a stop the car just stalls or hot air comes out if i dont press on accelerator.

I think the tech put on my old compressor from my Accord into the h22a engine.

Anybody have any clue about this problem or maybe i should get the compressor from an actual prelude since its a pelude engine?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by DIRTY_ROB82
When im driving on the highway the A/C works just fine but as soon as i let go of the gas when i have to stop at a light or a stop the car just stalls or hot air comes out if i dont press on accelerator.
Probably nothing wrong with the compressor since it works well at highway speeds. Does the car stall at stops if the A/C isn't on? What's the tach read when it's idling & no A/C?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ECU should compensate for AC compressor load by increasing idle air flow through the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). Make sure IACV is working and clean. Check DIY section for cleaning instructions.

IF IACV is working make sure the base idle is set correctly to about 600 rpm =/- 50 rpm w/ IACV disconnected.

good luck

Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM

Thanks for replying.

The car runs smooth when the a/c is not on. the idle stays normal. As soon as i press a/c button the car stalls right away if im not pressing on gas.

I will start by checking my air control valve like you said and il keep you posted.

Thank you very much for your help.