General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C working and not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
rminor205
Unregistered
Default RE: A/C working and not working

I have the same problem. The lights on the dash panel go off, I can't change where the air comes out of, butif I leave it on 1 2 3 or 4 the air keeps coming out. It's not AC air, just regular vent air. I've been having this problem for a while. It will work for a while, then it stops, what is it?

2001 Accord EX 2 dr

Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
rminor205
Unregistered

Also, my car got broken into and the CD player i had in there was stolen. I rigged a new one by hard wiring is, and forgot to connect my dash lights. could that have something to do with it. I'm fixing to take it to best buy and have them rewire it with a new dash panel.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: sthavorn

Hi deserthonda, I'm going back to the shop again this weekend. I will ask them to show me the diagnostic on the red wire. If there is a power on the red wire for 8-9 minutes and no cool air comes out, do I expect a bad compressor? I dont think they will fix only the clutch gab.Doest the a/c thermostat create this kind of problem? I'm just afraid that I spend $455 and the problem still there. Thank you very much for your power on red wire diagnostic.
If the car cools part of the time, the compressor is not the problem. Compresssor might have a weak coil (doesn't require compressor replacement), or more likely too large clutch gap causing clutch not to engage reliably. If shop won't diagnose the problem, I would suggest another shop. An AC shop that wants to blindly replace the compressor is not being honest. However, you may have trouble finding a better shop! That's why I DIY.

good luck

Old 03-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

minor please start your own thread, it gets too confusing to reply to 2 different members on the same thread ,,
It is free ...

Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 AM

it would not hurt to get a second opinion form a shop that specializes on Hondas .or the Dealer ..
I would rather waste 70-80 dollars and find out worse case scenario that it still needs a compressor THAN waste 455 dollars when it did not need a compressor ...
yes the a/c thermostatic switch can create the exact same thing,, I have seen it first hand many , many times
that why i say ,, when a/c blows warm and compressor is not engaged they need to chk for power at the red wire ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DIAGNOSE,, DIAGNOSE,, DIAGNOSE,,,
if it has power than they should try the bang on the a/c clutch with a big screwdriver like texas suggested , if it engages right away clutch gap is too big,,,

if red wire has no power ,the compressor WILL NEVER engage , then they need to DIAGNOSE why there is no power at the red wire ..

Old 03-15-2007, 01:09 AM

Thanks, deserthonda. I willgo to a different AC shop see what they say.Hope that they say something about clutch and ac thermostat. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:12 AM

let us know .......

if you have a test lite you can diagnose this yourself..

Old 03-15-2007, 12:16 PM

What does the clutch plate look like? Is it on the top?Bottom? or one of the sides of the compressor?I want to try and see it the gap is too big like TexasHonda said.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

What does the clutch plate look like? Is it on the top?Bottom? or one of the sides of the compressor?I want to try and see it the gap is too big like TexasHonda said.
Start your own thread and explain your problem. If you don't know what the clutch looks like, you probably shouldn't try the "rap the clutch"test. Inexperience can get you hurt if you get the wrench or hammer gets to the wrong place.

good luck

Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM

I have the exact same problem as the one describedat the beginning ofthis thread. That's why I didn't think I was "stealing" this one. I am not totally inexperienced under the hood of cars, I just have never worked on A/C units before. I would never stick a wrench or screwdriver anywhere under the hood unless I felt confident I would not hurt myself.

Quick Reply: A/C working and not working