Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Cam position sensor (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/cam-position-sensor-66478/)

JimBlake 02-26-2019 08:08 PM

With a multimeter, you need to check for open or short in the wiring to that sensor.

Open means there's a break in the wire somewhere, like a loose plug that sometimes makes contact, sometimes not.

A short means some wire has the insulation is worn away, or maybe it's pinched and touching something metal.

Because it's intermittent, you probably want to wiggle the wires as you're testing. I once had a wire broken inside it's insulation, so the wire LOOKED OK. As the engine moved around during driving, it would pull a bit and the wire would lose contact. Depending on the location of the problem, you repair it or replace some part of the harness.

The Toecutter 02-27-2019 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 384316)
With a multimeter, you need to check for open or short in the wiring to that sensor.

Open means there's a break in the wire somewhere, like a loose plug that sometimes makes contact, sometimes not.

I once had a wire broken inside it's insulation, so the wire LOOKED OK. As the engine moved around during driving, it would pull a bit and the wire would lose contact.

Yup, we found that before on my son's 98 Civic. The engine wouldn't start, due to a bad ground wire.

woody31 05-07-2019 06:13 AM

Cam sensor issues

My 96 accord started throwing code for cam sensor intermittent signal. I replaced the distributor. Started car and instantly same code pops up.
What am I missing? Could the vtec solenoid make this issue? I am at a loss. I tried searching for a solution but no luck. Thanks in advance.

woody31 05-07-2019 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20 (Post 384113)
Be sure it's not a broken belt, ignitor or icm

Whatis the igniter..icm??
I replaced the distributor and same code pops up.

JimBlake 05-07-2019 01:05 PM

Ignition control module ("ignitor" is slang for the ICM) is inside the distributor, so if you got a loaded distributor, then you got a new one. It's some kind of isolation amplifier so spikes from the coil don't feed back to the ECM.

Have you verified the wiring is OK for all these circuits?

JimBlake 05-07-2019 01:06 PM

Flaky wiring?

woody31 05-07-2019 01:15 PM

How do you test for this?
I have no clue when it comes to this car.
Thanks inadvance.

Seanjordan20 05-07-2019 02:28 PM

There are many how to videos on YouTube. I have attached one for you so you won't be troubled on finding one.

PAhonda 05-07-2019 07:09 PM

What is the actual code you are getting? They start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234.

woody31 05-09-2019 11:42 AM

Cam sensor issues

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 385126)
What is the actual code you are getting? They start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234.

Thanks for the help . I will check the exact code this evening when I get off work.