General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cam position sensor

  #1  
Old 02-07-2019, 01:11 PM
woody31's Avatar
Almost A Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: texas
Posts: 303
Default Cam position sensor

Hi everybody. I have a 1996 accord 2.2 vtec. We bought new car about 6 months ago..parked the accord. The other day I went to crank it and it just cranks and dies..code says camshaft position sensor error.. Where is cam sensor located?
 
  #2  
Old 02-07-2019, 01:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kimball MI
Posts: 905
Default

Originally Posted by woody31 View Post
Hi everybody. I have a 1996 accord 2.2 vtec. We bought new car about 6 months ago..parked the accord. The other day I went to crank it and it just cranks and dies..code says camshaft position sensor error.. Where is cam sensor located?
It should be in the distributor.
 
  #3  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 AM
woody31's Avatar
Almost A Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: texas
Posts: 303
Default

Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
It should be in the distributor.
Thanks for the reply. My local Napa and Orielly Auto Parts can't find it..rock auto does not list it..i need a picture and a part number ...please and thank you.
 
  #4  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 PM
woody31's Avatar
Almost A Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: texas
Posts: 303
Default

Any one have a idea here...I would like to get this running again...
 
  #5  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 391
Default

Buy a distributor. You will not find it separately because they can not be changed.
 
  #6  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:50 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 391
Default

Be sure it's not a broken belt, ignitor or icm
 
  #7  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM
woody31's Avatar
Almost A Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: texas
Posts: 303
Talking

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20 View Post
Be sure it's not a broken belt, ignitor or icm
Thanks for the reply... my scanner says it is a cam sensor intermittent signal...
 
  #8  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kimball MI
Posts: 905
Default

Originally Posted by woody31 View Post
Thanks for the reply... my scanner says it is a cam sensor intermittent signal...
If it's not in the distributor, then it's mounted down next to the crank pulley. It'll be a combined sensor, meaning 2 sensors are in the same piece of cable. The FSM shows it, but I got rid of my FSM when I sold my 97. I replaced the CKD sensor on it, but I also had to replace the other sensor since they were combined.
However the cam sensor should be in the distributor, and there's room for 1 inside since it has a divorced coil.
 
  #9  
Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 PM
JimBlake's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 17,358
Default

The ECM cannot tell the difference between a bad sensor and bad wiring connection somewhere between the sensor & the ECM. So the scanner says intermittent signal, that may be caused by a loose pin in some plug in the wiring harness. Electrical troubleshooting is always important to show whether the sensor itself is actually bad.
 
  #10  
Old 02-24-2019, 06:20 PM
woody31's Avatar
Almost A Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: texas
Posts: 303
Default

Originally Posted by JimBlake View Post
The ECM cannot tell the difference between a bad sensor and bad wiring connection somewhere between the sensor & the ECM. So the scanner says intermittent signal, that may be caused by a loose pin in some plug in the wiring harness. Electrical troubleshooting is always important to show whether the sensor itself is actually bad.
so how do you test this 🤔🤔
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam position sensor


Advertising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.