General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 2009 Accord replace a Grand Marquis?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Sid Post
Unregistered
Default Can a 2009 Accord replace a Grand Marquis?

I had a 2001 Grand Marquis with all the options on it. We had many good times together. Unfortunately, she was totaled. This car did its best to protect me through side swipes, hit and runs, and 3 rear end collisions. The last rear end collision did her in. My car did its best to protect me through all these mishaps (none of which were "at fault" collisions against my driving record and no tickets were issued to myself).

Here I am 3 weeks later with a sore back and neck but, I'm finally in good enough shape to start looking more seriously at getting a replacement. From the specifications I found online, it appears the new Accord has about the same passenger compartment room as my old car. While it has a V-6 and not a V-8, the engine appears to be a strong one with good fuel economy. I do a lot of high speed Interstate driving in high winds and up 6% mountain grades so, I need a strong drive train. Safety features appear to be very good too.

Where I think the Accord may come up short is in the trunk space. In my old car, I carried 55 gallon aquariums, sacks of mortar and cement from Home Depot, propane tanks, and similar things. That cavernous trunk swallowed big bulky stuff with ease. The Accord trunk doesn't appear to be as big or have as large an opening. So with that in mind, I thought about getting a small trailer to go with this car. The drive train seems to be the same as the Pilot/Ridgeline so the drive train should be able to support a small trailer but, I cannot find a tow weight rating for this car. Is the rear suspension too soft to pull a small trailer?

Ideally, I would like to be able to pull a trailer of up to 3,000 pounds but, the heaviest thing I will most likely carry is my motorcycle and some camping gear which combined is probably 500 pounds plus the trailer weight so the combined weight would generally be under 1,000 pounds. Is this too much for an Accord?

I should note, that I will install a transmission oil cooler whether I buy a trailer or not to help deal with the Arizona/Nevada heat.

TIA,
Sid

Old 10-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Can a 2009 Accord replace a Grand Marquis?

sounds like youshould look into the Honda Ridgeline truck if you are doing all that. It has an extened 4-door cab with plenty of space, the bed is a good size and it also has a deep set trunk under the bed. or the Honda Element SUV that has the special folding seats and opposite opening doors for space optimization. hope this helps

Old 10-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Honestly Ive had v8 my whole life and just got the Accord coupe. Great car but for what you want/need I would look for another Grand Marquis. A truck or suv sounds like it may eat up to much fuel for your needs. The 4.6 engine is a good motor that will last you and meet your needs. But im sure you know that.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 AM

3000 lbs is way too much for the Accord totow so nix that. Do consider that the Accords rear seats fold forward so heavier items can be "centered" between the axles and not lower the rear end which may lighten steering. I have hauled as many as seven 50 lb bags of potting soil on the rear folded seat with no problems at all.Towing aside,I feel that the car would certainly satisfy in every other way.