General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can a 90 honda accord dx be moderatley tuned up for cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Default can a 90 honda accord dx be moderatley tuned up for cheap?

I probably be gettin a 90 honda accord dx soon and ive always wanted to have a car that can be tuned up. Unfortunatley its an auto... but im just ranting. So besides bolt ons what else can be done....not lookin into a swap since it only has 73-76k on it and no nos and turbo out of q for now...broke college student lol. o also what could i do for weight reduc since its kinda heavy. thanks. Oh and by the way im a noob if ya havent noticed but this forum seems quite nicer than others ive seen.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Default RE: can a 90 honda accord dx be moderatley tuned up for cheap?

Well we'll start with weight reduction... You can remove your spare tire (not really advisable). Remove your trunk lining and crap as well. Pull your rear seats. remove the carpet and seperate the carpet and the "padding" and put just the carpet back in. You can remove door panels, scrap the A/C and pull the alternator out. There's a TON of stuff you can do it's just a matter of how much work you want to to do. You can also remove the front and rear bumper "linings" big steal pieces under there and then just weld a piece of round steel back in it's place (that should save you almost 100 lbs)

As far as cheap tune up stuff there's not a whole lot. You could do little tune ups I.E. replace spark plugs, cap rotor and wires. Fuel injector cleaner. You could try advancing your timing a few degrees (may make the car harder to start), spend $40.00 and get a short ram air intake...

Old 08-01-2006, 01:55 PM

ok kool thanks for the input. also is it true that bolt ons for this gen accord dont help much? since its stock 130hp? and if i put intake, header, exhaust..wats the estimate in gains?...or would it not matter cuse of all the weight... thanks. oh and bout the back seats... its a 4 door so it kinda look a bit ridculus havin a 4 door 2 seater.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM

yeah it was just a thought... you can get pretty extreme with weight reduction.... As far as bolt on's since it is such a small engine you're not going to see gains like a V8 would but you will see gains... I say headers, Intake, Exhaust would get you up around 150 hp if you're at 130 now (maybe more like 145, but it should be right around those numbers)

Welcome to the forum!! Also, if you look up at the top bar. Towards the right hand side is an option to "Search" and you can get some great info there as well. But never hesitate to post!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:18 PM

cool then...but if i do have this car for a while...what would be a a better engine that would fit in it....and also would it be worth it since if i got an engine from a newer honda...wouldnt the handling and other things be better than the 4th gen accord? thanks.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:30 PM

As far as swaps go I'm not 100% sure but I believe an H22 will fit (Prelude engine) they make all sorts of stuff for swapping that engine. Handling wise I've seen quite a few 90 accords rank nationally for Auto Cross so it is possible to make that car just flat out haul butt...It just takes time and money

Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

h22a auto is the motor for you. if you put a shorty intake on your car right now, the car will absolutely be transformed. youll find your self taking on cars you used to be afraid to even look over at. a ws6 will blow by on the freeway at a dollar fifteen, and youll be like f that im going after that beotch. then youll let the note roar and everybody around will be on notice.