General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a new timing belt cause a starter to drag

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Default Can a new timing belt cause a starter to drag

Hello all first post. I just finished doing a belt job on my 94 accord. The car runs better than ever...if I wot no hesitation. The problem I'm having is that there is some starter drag. I've read that it could be caused by having the timing advanced to far. I put a timing light on and it looks close...I say close as the marks are not real visible. Hope you can read this...sending it from my android....any ideas? A little info..bat is new...connections tight no it didn't drag before new belt

Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Too advanced, yes that can cause the starter to drag. Be sure to double check the connections on the battery...you just had them off so you never know.

Pull the upper t-belt cover and double check the marks. Also you can put a marker/nail polish on the other timing marks on the pulley to make them easier to see. If memory is correct, the service connector has to be jumped when checking the timing. If you don't have a manual already, at the top of this section is a sticky (Common DIY Threads) that has a link where you can download a manual.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Thank you for the reply...advanced timing is what I was thinking. I
'll check it out in the morning. Is it posable to turn the distribitor a little to clean the timing up if I am out? I cant be out much...would it run so good if I was a cog off? The reason I'm asking is that I have no history on the car....bought it for 1300...it was in poor shape...leaked oil out of every orfice. Motor has 180k...cleaning it up now...the old belt looked good...but I'm not a belt man. Thought maybe it was never replaced and if it was streached out they may have moved the distribitor...

Last edited by brianwindorski; 09-28-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

I would not think so. That is why I suggested pulling the cover and checking the marks again. Also double checking the connections.

Might have the battery tested just to rule it out, I know it is new but you never know.

I'm sure you have a manual-not too many people go into a t-belt job without one, it should list/show the marks on the pulley...again a dab of paint or a sharpie (I like the silver one) will help in seeing them.

Then stranger things have happened before, it could be the starter just decided to start doing this ~ the same time.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 PM

When setting tdc, the damper pully is maybe 0.25 inch out...cant get it to line up. Put a timing light on and I'm with in marks. Going to get a starter ... when I first got the car the starter had drag...bought a new batt and it seemed to work fine...also after doing the timing job, I had left the neg bett a little lose (I have to flip the terminal to get a solid connection) and did'nt realize it. Maybe it drew to much amperage and shot the moon?

Last edited by brianwindorski; 09-30-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Keep us informed if you get that problem figured out correctly..

Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 PM

I was thinking...here at work lol. K I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to move the distrib...going to use white out on the marks so that I can be sure...per poorman212. I'm starting to think that it has never been replaced....can a timing belt go 180k...everything was oem...but there was no ballancer seal retainer...one on there now. The distrib is all the way advanced...I mean turned all the way twards the firewall...I really thinnk the belt may have been very old...had some streach and they keept advancing to make up the diff??? Is normal for the distrib to be all the way clocked? I would think somewhere close to center...but not all the way to one end. Like I said it was a hooser buy... but i'm happy with it

Last edited by brianwindorski; 09-30-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

If you suspect the timing belt is 180k miles, then replace it now. You're lucky to get that far, but not impossible.

After you get the camshaft timed properly, THEN worry about the distributor timing.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 PM

Ended up being the starter...put a new one in...and problem solved. Thanks for every buddy's input