General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can someone help?

Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Can someone help?

I have a 94 ex and recently i have been having problems with it. Im not to sure what the problem is though all i know is that when she starts up she's fine but that is about the only time. I recently moved from Hawaii to Louisiana and after moving i have noticed this problem.
Alright, well like i said she starts up fine and she has no problem in P or N but in any othere gear the temp gauge rises all the way up until i either put in back in D or N. Also when putting her in R or D's she tends to lose a little electrical power to all electronics just for a brief second then it comes back on.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Can someone help?

as far as the cooling issue, it could be a number of things...is the car leaking any coolant? is the radiator cap good? is there any coolant in the oil, or vice versa?

Electrically...could be your alternator, battery, battery contacts...does it happen when you are putting it in gear? or just randomly.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The cooling, no no leaks havent noticed anything wrong with the cam either. As far as oil in tthe coolent im not to sure but i know that there isnt any in the oil just changed it not to long ago and didnt see any had have driven it but maybe 2 miles since.
Electronics, yes the problem only occure when i am shifting gears, other then that its fine. I also have a hunting problem.

So lets see over heating, hunting, electrical

Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 AM

if the radiator is not leaking, try flushing it with the cooling system, you might have a clog. also how long has it been since you replaced the timing belt? your water pump could be going out as well. as far as the gear hunting replace your tranny fluid first and see if that helps.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Are the pulley's on there stock? Coolant level good, are your belts okay? Do they ever squeel? A bad/slipping belt will underdrive your electronics and water pump, do your cooling fans come on?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just got back in from work yesterday and started her up again. All the problems are still present, still being a pain. The over heating that is occurring is only whenI have the car in gear and my foot is on the break. IfI let my foot up off of the break the temp goes down and the lights dim.Yes as far asI know all the pullies are stock and havent been changed. As far as any squealing goes I havent heard any. Also the fans arent turning on, only ifI have the a/c on will they turn. I have checkd all the fluids andI have recently changed the oil spark plugs and oil filter. Im really not to sure what the problem is butI have a new radiator coming in and whenI get itI plan changing out the thermostat flushing out the system and checking all the fans as well.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:48 PM

If the fans are not coming on you may simply have a temp sensor issue, the fans should kick on at operating temperature, if they never come on by themselves then I wouldn't be suprised if that sensor was whack and causing a bad read on the guage.

Here's some info on the fan

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/66796A0E1C9A476FB7A8E1A45EA9CEB3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: johnny_1203

. Also the fans arent turning on,
if fans do not come on car will overheat especially at idle ..at a stop
# 1 ..chk to make sure there is planty of coolant in the radiator

# 2 ..chk to make sure that the t-stat opens fully,, feel the lower radiator hose , should feel almost as hot as the top hose , if it feels warm or cool,, t-stat is stuck close or partially closed , replace as needed

# 3 .. assuming t-stat is ok,, after t-stat opens , a while later fans should come on BOTH fans.. if they do not ,, at the t-stat housing there is a green connector , 2 wires in it,, unplug it and jump te wires together , use a paper clip, car running of course ,, if fans come on you got a bad switch,,
if they still do not come on, you need to chk and see if they are getting power and ground , use a tst lite or a voltmeter ,, if you get both you got bad fan motors,,,, if you do not get any power, chk the fuses, chk the relays,
Try this and let us know ..

Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you have a problem with your gauge. Either the gauge itself or the electronics feeding it.

If you simply switch gears (without moving the car) and the temp gauge changes, then I would start looking for an electical problem. Also make sure that the fans are not kicking on when you switch gears.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: johnny_1203

... The over heating that is occurring is only whenI have the car in gear and my foot is on the break. IfI let my foot up off of the break the temp goes down and the lights dim...
If your brake pedal can make the temperature gauge go up or down very suddenly, it has to be a bogus measurement. The TRUE temperature can't change that suddenly.

Look for wiring problems with the gauge. Look for corroded or poorly connected grounds. When 2 things that really aren't supposed to be related begin affecting each other, it's usually caused by bad ground connections - somewhere...