General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot get 95 Accord to start...Possibly Neutral Safety Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
rflail
Unregistered
Default Cannot get 95 Accord to start...Possibly Neutral Safety Switch?

I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX V6 and am having trouble getting my car to start. When I turn the key to start the lights on the dash come on, but nothing happens. I've checked the ignition switch, battery, and the starter and they appear to be fine. I am able to start the car by jumping the starter solenoid and connecting the starter directly to the battery. I think I've narrowed it down to being either the starter solenoid, neutral safety switch, or simply a bad connection between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. Does anyone know where the neutral safety switch is located or know of an easy way to test if the neutral safety switch is the problem. Also someone had suggested that I could just run a momentary switch into the car between both the battery and starter and then just push that button with the ignition turned on. Is this a safe method? I just worry about too much current going through that wire and switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Default RE: Cannot get 95 Accord to start...Possibly Neutral Safety Switch?

Roll down your windows, and try to start the car, you should be able to hear the starter solenoid click. If it does then that's not your problem. Try grabbing a volt meter and have someone turn the car over and see if you read anything going into the starter. If your getting power at the solenoid and the starter then your problem is somewhere else. Is this automatic?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Check that the battery cables are clean and secure at all ends (battery, starter, ground, alt. connections). Have someone turn the key to start and you hit the starter with the handle of a screwdriver. If the starter cranks, then your solenoid is likely worn out in the starter. You can buy a replacement solenoid and contacts to fix the starter. I found mine on Ebay for ~$25.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:33 AM
rflail
Unregistered

Thanks for everyone's help. The car is an automatic and I do hear a single click when I try to start the car, which I assume is the solenoid? When I start the car I am getting no voltage at the starter. I have not checked if I am getting voltage at the solenoid, but I will do so when I get home. I've tried hitting the starter and that didn't do anything. Jumping the solenoid will start the car right up. Do you think this could possibly be the neutral safety switch or am I completely off with that theory? Also is there a relay that could be bad and could be causing this? I've been having this problem for about 2 years now, but it ussually starts if I wait a minute and then try again. The last time that it wouldn't start for a prolonged period of time was last summer; however it started after sitting overnight. It hasn't started since Tuesday night. This has also been the first warm week of the year here in Philadelphia. What do you guys think of the idea of hooking a momentary switch between the starter and the battery?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:49 AM

When you turn the car to the on position do you hear the fuel pump run? Does it make a difference if you start it in Neutral or Park?

However, since it clicks when you try to start and it starts when you jump it that sounds like a dirty loose or corroded cable... Either that or your selenoid is shot... let us know the voltage test...

Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 PM
rflail
Unregistered

I really don't know what the fuel pump sounds like, but I do here 1 click when I try to start it. I will check the solenoid voltage when I get home. If anyone thinks of anything else I should check, please let me know.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM

I don't think the issue would be the fuel pump because the car won't even crank over with the key correct? But the fuel pump sounds like a deep whining noise I guess is the best way to describe it.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
rflail
Unregistered

Yea it won't crank over with the key. If it turns out to be a bad solenoid could I just hook up a momentary switch and use that instead or am I gonna need to replace the solenoid or even the whole starter/solenoid assembly?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure how you could put a temporary switch in the stater, because the starter solenoid is the mechanical switch that provides the power to the stater motor when you turn the key to start. The starter has to disengage when you let go of the key, or you will will fry the starter motor and could screw up the teeth on the fly wheel.

Replacing the stater solenoid is very easy to do. I can give you directions if you need them. Some people compain about the quality of remaned starters, and new honda starters are expensive.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:41 PM
rflail
Unregistered

I don't know.....I called AAA when this first happened because I was stuck in a parking lot. The guy jumped the solenoid with a pair of pliers and then suggested I could just use the momentary switch instead of replacing the solenoid/starter. If you could give me instructions on how to replace the starter solenoid I would greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Cannot get 95 Accord to start...Possibly Neutral Safety Switch?