General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car dies attempting to pass a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Arrow Car dies attempting to pass a vehicle

Just last night on my way home from the city, my 92 Accord was driving as everything is normal until I decided to pass a semi. I put down the pedal and the RPM's began to rise. I got next to the semi when suddenly the RPM's dropped to zero immediately and I lost all power. I turned down the radio to see if I still had a running engine, but it was off and I was coasting. I then pulled behind the semi again and pulled over. I put it into neutral, and tried to start it, but the engine wouldn't respond to the starter turning it over. At two rare moments, a cylinder would fire, but that's it. I opened the hood to find a grey toxic smelling smoke filtering from the rear of the engine compartment. I ended up having to leave my car and get picked up by a friend.

I'm not sure what happened, so I was wondering if anyone may be able to help piece together what just took place. On previous accounts, A few times I accelerated and the car would lose power but kick in right away. Two times the car has flashed the D4 dash light after accelerating with the kick-down active. Never did get around to looking up what that meant.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suspect your timing belt broke. The belt being destructed inside the timing belt cover would produce acrid burnt rubber smell. Better get it towed to a shop and you're probably looking at new head rebuild to replace damaged valves, new timing belt, water pump (if history unknown). You're looking at $1K+ at a good shop.

Easy way to confirm broken timing belt is to turn engine over w/ distributor cap removed. If rotor doesn't turn, timing belt is broken.

good luck

Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM

That makes a lot of sense, and I'm betting that's certainly the problem. Thanks a lot for the help! I'll do that check you mentioned.