General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car dies when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Default car dies when coming to a stop

Hey guys i have a 93 accord. As of yesterday it started idling funny when coming to a stop or slowing to turn. Today it got worst by dying when coming to a stop it will crank right after it stalls. I've cleaned the IAC valve with t.b cleaner with no change. Any ideas?

Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

I deleted the other thread, because it was identical to this one.

Your problem, car stalling when coming to a stop, does turn up occasionally on here. I don't remember one solution to the problem.

Here are some basic questions to start. How many miles are on the spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor? If they are due for replacement, I suggest a Honda cap and rotor. The plugs are NGK ZFR5F-11 that you can get at most parts stores. The Honda spark plug wires seem to last forever too, so inspect the plug wires if they are aftermarket.

When you first turn the key to the II position and do not try to start the car, does the check engine light turn on for about two seconds? Has the check engine light turned on while driving? How about a blinking D4 light or a blinking S light?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Plugs, wires and Dist. cap has been replaced Within the last few months. I've done a little research an i think it might be the IAC valve but I'm not positive. When i remove the intake hose From the intake witch port do i plug to determine If that's the problem and how Will the car Idel when i do this?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM

I just recomend removing the iac and cleaning it and putting it back on, I believe there is an adjustment that can be made also, cleaning my h22a4's fixed my idle issues

Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Clean throttle plate and bore along w/ IACV. You need to clean the valve movement as it can get gunked to point valve will no longer shift. Also check inlet/outlet passages where IACV air bypasses the throttle plate.

An electrical IACV fault will set a code 14 for IACV. Is CEL on?

good luck