General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car Dies at Stop signs/lights/highway off-ramps

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Exclamation Car Dies at Stop signs/lights/highway off-ramps

I have a 2002 honda accord coupe 2.2 EX AT. My problem started happening in September of last year. As i would approach a red light and stop, i noticed my car would start shaking. Also, my rpms would begin to dip below 500. After several scares, i also observed that when i would brake hard around a turn, my car stalled out. Initially i thought this may be a fuel-injection problem, so i went to my local autozone and purchased some fuel-injector cleaner and it seemed to help. But then when i would be running low on gas, i noticed the problem came back. It is now February and i decided to take my car to the dealer to have the brakes done. Normally i would do something like this myself, however just moving to SoCal and renting a room, leaves me with no tools. Anyways, i asked the dealership to check my codes on the check engine light and let me know if anything came up about the idling. They call me back and state to me that "P1607 ECM/PCM Internal Circuit Failure A" code came back, and they would need to replace my current one with a working one, and if it is determined my PCM is faulty, they would need to replace it. When my car stalls out, it usually fires right back up with no problem. Also, when others are riding in my car with me, they question the shaking because it is that obvious. I really dont want to spend $1000+ to have the PCM replaced/checked, but i feel as though i dont have any other options. Any opinions on the matter? The car has died on me atleast 2 dozen times on different occasions.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

If that is the problem,,,,notice the if, then anyway you can get a used one (car-part dot com or someplace like that) and have it "flashed" and then install?