General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car overheating/oil light flickering

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Default Car overheating/oil light flickering

Well, I was sitting in the drive-thru today and my car started overheating. On the way home the oil light started flickering, so I put in some oil I had as soon as I got home. When I got home I checked my oil and it was half-way between the bottom of the dipstick and add mark. Fairly low.

I added a half a quart when I got home and drove it. The temp gauge was getting up there 3/4 the way to the red zone, but the oil light didn't come on. I drove it to a meeting, afterwards I added a quart of oil to the engine and drove it home and it started overheating and the oil light was flickering again. No white smoke, so it's not burning it. It's got to be leaking from somewhere, right? to lose that much oil

Coolant level is fine. I added some this afternoon, just about 4 or 5 ounces and it was topped off. Definitely got to be something going on with the oil.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Did you look at the oil pressure switch yes HondaHonda.?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Did you look at the oil pressure switch yes HondaHonda.?
What's that? and where can I find it?

I checked my hayne's book and didn't see it

Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Oil pressure switch is screwed into the block, above the oil filter. Sorta difficult to see unless you look from underneath the car. Even then it's easier to see when the oil filter is removed. It's got a single wire connected to it, with a big rubber boot.

The oil pressure switch has been known to fail. Besides leaking oil through the middle of the switch, it might also cause the oil warning lamp to come on.

You don't want to take my word for it and drive around like that. Just in case the oil pressure is actually very low.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Well, I took it to my mechanic. The perfect storm of odd fixes. The bottom radiator hose was original and leaking and the PCV valve was stuck. PCV valve was sucking oil in and burning it.

New hose and valve cost me all of $57.

It's my fault here, we didn't replace the radiator hoses when we did replaced the radiator. Next time I'll know better!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Hondahonda
Well, I took it to my mechanic. The perfect storm of odd fixes. The bottom radiator hose was original and leaking and the PCV valve was stuck. PCV valve was sucking oil in and burning it.

New hose and valve cost me all of $57.

It's my fault here, we didn't replace the radiator hoses when we did replaced the radiator. Next time I'll know better!
Would the PCV valve cause oil light to come on? My light had been randomly coming on over the past month or so, and after searching here it seemed like the oil press switch was the likely cause. I had it changed out a couple weeks ago, all was well until this morning, the blinking oil light was back again. Once I shut off and start back it takes a while for it to come back on. Oil level is full. If its the PCV that would be a big concern off my mind. Could that be it?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

PCV failure would only cause the oil light if enough oil is sucked out of the engine to reduce oil level to point where oil pump is sucking air instead of oil (very low).

If oil light is coming on it's either low oil pressure or faulty oil pressure switch. It's not unheard of for a new part to fail, or for someone to charge you for work not really done.

good luck

Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Texas. Well, its an inexpensive part so maybe I could install another.

I'm fairly confident my shop did replace it, they've done good reputable work for me over the years.

How hard is this switch to change out myself? Any special tools needed, gasket/washer? Or is is basically unscrew and screw in new one? I was going to change the first one myself but wasn't sure how that rubber boot comes off and what sort of wrench I needed to get the switch out. Looks very tight up there to get a standard wrench on (especially laying on my back under the car. Any tips? Does the oil have to be drained?

Aside from the switch, are there any other obvious things I should check that may cause the light to flash?

And that's another question, is there a difference in the code if it flashes vs stays on? Mine just flashes. I turn off and it goes away (guess it resets). Thanks for your help.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Replacing the oil pressure switch is not hard, but a special deep socket is req'd. It may be available as a loaner from autoparts store. You don't have to drain the oil, but be prepared for some to drain out.

If you need the room, you can remove oil filter, but some oil will be lost. Keep oil filter upright to minimize loss, and re-install when complete. Top off oil as indicated.

I assume we're talking about oil pressure light. It flashes when either oil pressure fluctuates low enough (2-3 psi) to allow switch to close, or a faulty switch is closing due to mechanical problem. There is no "code" associated with the oil pressure light.

good luck

Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. Do you know what size socket fits that switch? I may just try and replace with another one before I take it to the shop.

It hasn't come on again since yesterday morning. I'm nervous now every time I drive that its going to start flashing. Its a bad feeling to be running 65mph and have that light come on.

Would there be any other things I should check that may cause the light to come on?

Thanks again for all your help.

Quick Reply: Car overheating/oil light flickering