General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car shaking at highway speeds & shakes when brakes applied

Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Default Car shaking at highway speeds & shakes when brakes applied

Ok, so I have been looking around a lot on HAFbecuase I know there are a lot of posts about both of these problemsout there, but I want to be sure I get the problem fixed right when I will be paying for it to be done at a shop.
Here is the problem:
2000 Accord sedan I4 MT everything stock, even the ugly steelwheels with wheel covers. Car shakes a little & steering wheel starts shaking around 70MPH. I know this probably means I have a wheel out of balance.
Also, when I apply the brakes, the car shakes. It shakes about the same if I pull the e-brake as well.
My tires look like they have a good bit of life left in them. The car does not pull to the right or left that I can telleither.
So my question is, when I take it to the shop do I ask for wheels to be balanced & aligned, front rotors checked & possibly resurfaced, and rear brakes to be checked too?

Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Default RE: Car shaking at highway speeds & shakes when brakes applied

Sounds like you got it, the vibration could be a wheel out of balance or improper tire wear would be the most likely culprits... there is a slim outside chance that it's a bearing, however those usually make noise so I wouldn't worry about that just yet.... if the car is shaking while you brake it's probably the brakes as you suspect..... so yes I'd get a balance/alignment/rotation and front/rear brakes checked out....

Old 03-21-2007, 02:35 PM

OK. Thank you sir!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 PM

If you're traveling at 60mph or more and you step on the brakes and the steering wheel vibrates, your rotors are warped.
Since you already pulled up the ebrake while traveling and the car still vibrated, it's obvious the rears are warped. YOu should cutthe front and rears anyway though.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

shaking at 70 mph,, most likely wheel out of balance,,,,,,no need for an alignment it will be a waste of your money ,,unless the car pulls or wears the tires unevenly
if steering wheel shakes when you pull on the e-brake you gor rear drums out of round or rear rotors warped ..\
I would not tell the shop what to do on the car,, let them diagnose the problem and see what they say ..the reason being if you go there and tell them what you want done and they do it,, what if that does not fix the problem ?? by having them diagnose it and telling you what it is, they are commited to fix it and if they do not you should not have to pay
But according to what you are saying,, you got wheels out of balance and AT LEAST ( rear drums, out of round,, ) ( rear rotors warped ) possibly frt as well .. but i would do the rears first ,,, if you have less than 50% on the brakes , install new brakes

Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 PM

I've been having the same problem recently. I got new rotors (Brembo blanks) & brakes (Honda Genuine), installed both myself. Pretty easy job actually.

After installing the new parts, I test drove my car. The steering wheel was still vibrating, but not as much as before & when I brake, there was no shaking.

I figured it wasn't my alignment because the car doesn't pull right or left. Come to find out, my wheels needed to be balanced.

Brought it to a shop and they did the job.Without telling them what to do, I had them inspect the problem like how DesertHonda stated. The inspection was free of charge. They said I just needed to balance the tires. No shaking or vibrating anymore.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Do check the wheel balance, but also check that wheels are not bent - i.e they would wobble side to side. Also could be a broken belt in one of the tires, causing deformation of the tire, or perhaps a bubble in the side wall.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: accordwagoneer

. Also could be a broken belt in one of the tires, causing deformation of the tire,
it is not a broken belt in one of the tires,, if it were, steering wheel would wobble side to side at low speeds 15-25
..in our DIY sectio there is a write up on ( steering wheel wobble ) , ooaccord you should take some time to go read it

Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 PM

Will do Desert. Thanks to all for your responses.