General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stalled when hard pressing the brake...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Default Car stalled when hard pressing the brake...

Hi, my problem here, when i brake harder or did emergency brake my car stalled sometimes...but after stalled, the engine can start again like normal rite away....what caused of it? do someone here have this kind of problem before...?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Two possibilities to suggest:

1) Main Fuel Relay has poor solder connections and slight deceleration causes them to open enough to kill the engine. This seems most likely. Either repair solder connections or replace. Check techautorepairs.com for guidance on MFR repairs and other electrical problems.

2) I had similar problem on my 94EX and later found a bad ECU. I suspect same problem; bad solder connections between connector jumpers and board.

good luck

Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 PM

already changed main fuel relay...ecu not check yet...this happened after i changed fuel pump...any possible the new fuel pump not working properly or any miss connection on fuel pump wire or socket...?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would check the connection to the fuel pump. It's accessible in trunk. Check that 12v is available for 2-3 secs when keyswitch is turned to On. If yes, the fuel pump is bad or damaged wiring from trunk connector to fuel pump.

Your problem has some of same elements as my adventure. I started out w/ fuel pump replacement, but had persistant, but highly irregular instances of dying while driving, upon hard braking. I thought fuel pump was starved since these seemed to occur w/ low fuel. However, I now think these may have been first instances of the ECU problem, which I recently resolved.

Note, I can't confirm that bad ECU solder jts were the cause of my problem, but ECU was definitely the problem. I repaired a couple of the key ECU solder jts that were causing CYP code 9, but havent installed the repaired ECU to check if fixed. Repairing the ECU jts is more difficult than MFR jts due to covering of thick clear coat.

This is one of those tricky problems that may take some time. Persistance is essential.

good luck

Old 12-17-2010, 11:33 AM

Problem solved...its not ecu....servicing throttle body, changed the idle valve controller and its done....the idling valve controller was the culprit...its jammed...service 2-3 times but rpm wont stable when a/c on, that's why when i brake my car rpm dropped so much till car died...so changed to a used one....

Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

THANK YOU for coming back & telling us the fix. It's nice to know what works & how it turns out.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:47 AM

no problem Mr. Moderator...this the reason why we joined the forum...to make friends, learn and share something with others....