General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car starts, but dies immediately!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Default car starts, but dies immediately!

ok, this is gonna be a bit long to explain the problem. my 96 accord ex started acting up about a few months ago. while driving,my tach needle would jump once or twice but then it stops and everything is cool. weeks later it will do it again but this time my speedo needle would bounce too and the car tries to stall but i kept the car going so it never did die,except once when i stop on a red light,but it started right away. so, about two months later were everything seems to be running normally,it started again. now it was harder to start once i turn the car off,(it never did stall while driving). i was able to start it after a few tries then it would stay running until i turned it off. my car would start then dies quickly then start again and be okay for a few more days. two days ago,my car drove fine until sunday afternoon. the needles started bouncing again and my ABS light came on(first time i saw that).i park it and turned it off,now it would start then die. i did a spark plug spark test to see if all my plugs sparks( i was concerned that i would not be able to see a spark because it dies so quick, but it was enough to see a spark come out of each plug. so that says that my ignition system is working. what confuses me is some of the honda forums i read to what it would be closely similar to my symptoms points to the ignitor(ICM). but it also says if you have spark on all spark plugs your ignition system works. so what should i do next and what does anyone think the problem is?? thank you and hope to hear from anyone.btw, all my dash lights comes on/off normally, no codes, new battery, have a lot of gas in the tank, check for grounds all ok, check relays and fuses all good. so not really sure where to go from there....

Last edited by trukid21; 06-04-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add more input
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ok, this is gonna be a bit long to explain the problem.
my 96 accord ex started acting up about a few months ago.
while driving,my tach needle would jump once or twice but then it stops and everything is cool.
weeks later it will do it again but this time my speedo needle would bounce too and the car tries to stall but i kept the car going so it never did die,except once when i stop on a red light,but it started right away.
so, about two months later were everything seems to be running normally,it started again.
now it was harder to start once i turn the car off,(it never did stall while driving).
i was able to start it after a few tries then it would stay running until i turned it off.
my car would start then dies quickly then start again and be okay for a few more days. two days ago,my car drove fine until sunday afternoon.
the needles started bouncing again and my ABS light came on(first time i saw that).
i park it and turned it off,now it would start then die.
i did a spark plug spark test to see if all my plugs sparks( i was concerned that i would not be able to see a spark because it dies so quick, but it was enough to see a spark come out of each plug.
so that says that my ignition system is working.
what confuses me is some of the honda forums i read to what it would be closely similar to my symptoms points to the ignitor(ICM).
but it also says if you have spark on all spark plugs your ignition system works.
so what should i do next and what does anyone think the problem is??
thank you and hope to hear from anyone.
btw, all my dash lights comes on/off normally, no codes, new battery, have a lot of gas in the tank, check for grounds all ok, check relays and fuses all good.
so not really sure where to go from there....

Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 PM

You need to pull the ECU codes.
Here is how to pull them yourself https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-codes-35962/

Report back what codes you find.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 PM

thanks for the reply. i can still pull CEL codes off my obd-1 connector, although my CEL light on my dash turns off after 2 sec? if so,i guess i'll do that and see what i get.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Yes you can - see what it says

Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure to check all of the gounds to be sure they are clean an tight.

The abs light will trip as a result of low voltage.....and some of the other issues you are having.

Last edited by poorman212; 06-05-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM

tried to retrieve my codes through the obd-1 connector,but now i do not have lights on my dashboard when i turn the key to number II. I check and cleaned my battery connections again then tried to check it again. no lights unless i try to start the car. not sure what happened this time. i still try to start it but it does die again. here's a short vid, i hope this could help a bit and hopefully you guys can hear it. thanks

http://youtu.be/zf1kZG3N9u4

Last edited by trukid21; 06-05-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: add video
Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 PM

ok,now i'm stumped on why my dashboard instument lights do not come on when i turn the key to pos.II. not sure if i did something while we were checking for sparks on the plugs. i cannot get codes from my OBD-1 connector if i have no lights on dashboard. all the lights come on when i start it but after that(on II) nothing. but on position II i still have radio,my headlights comes on plus the light that illuminates the whole dashboard works when i turn on the headlights. one thing i notice is when i turn on my key to pos.II the small light on my vent air(inside/outside) indicator would just flash on then off once. i tried looking at some post on the forum for a similar issue but cannot find one.need help on this too. thanks

Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 PM

sounds like a bad electrical portion of the ignition switch ,,

Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

x2 on what deserthonda just posted.

EDIT: Try shaking the key a bit when the key is in the II position to se if the gauge lights turn on. If they do turn on, then it has to be the electrical part of the ignition switch.

Last edited by PAhonda; 06-05-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: car starts, but dies immediately!