General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car starts some days but other times it does not.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Did you do the fuel relay test like TexasHonda said? I just think you're rushing into things without adequately checking every possibly cheap lead before moving on to the expensive ones. Every time you replace a part and "it seems better" is probably just a coincidence and I think the underlying problem is still there.

I believe if you've cranked it enough without starting it the cylinders can be full of fuel, maybe one of the more knowledgeable persons here can vet this. But to my knowledge you push down on the gas pedal while cranking to crank without injecting fuel into the cylinders since it's already logged with fuel and any further attempts to start probably will not work not because of the no start problem but because you jammed up the cylinders with fuel. This technique worked for someone else that was having a no start a year or two back and it worked for me too.

But for me it didn't fix my underlying no start issue, it was still there. Then I did the fuel relay test and discovered that the fuel pump was not working when the key was turned to ON. I fixed the fuel relay and the car never had a problem starting again. There is no guarantee this will be your solution but there's no indication you've even tested for it.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 AM

Texashonda, actually yes their is a coolant leak that is not obvious. everytime i would put coolant in it would be gone in a couple of hours and i could not figure out where the leakage would be.
After roaming around a bit for another price, I found a price of 600 to do the job. So based on your estimate I believe that is a reasonable deal. thank you!.

To be honest i did not do the fuel relay test because if the fuel is the problem then how would it be able to start at times and other times it would not? If it isnt getting the fuel it needs it should not start at all right? I do not know much but that makes sense to me haha. But if you do believe i need to test it i will just to be sure.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Make sure the $600 price includes at least shaving the head. This provides assurance of good head gasket sealing. Better would be a head rebuild; crack inspection, new valve stem seals, and valves reseated.

good luck

Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Will do thank you for the support. I was told it will be finished next thursday so as soon as it is finished i will let you know how it everything is after!.