General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car vibrates under idle in gear.. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 AM

I set the idle at 585, and with the IACV it idles around 700rpm +-10. What should I check into next?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your idle adjustment sounds good.

I would suggest replacing the front motor mount bushing w/ an OEM mount. The PU front bushing may be much stiffer. Was the replacement rear mount an OEM or aftermarket unit?

good luck

Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

did car shake like this before you did the work on it ??

if not, i would recheck the work you did, make sure that everything is tight ...

also did you chk if there is vacuum at the rear mount hose when idle is below 700 rpm ??

Old 03-14-2009, 02:03 AM

I bought aftermarket oem replacement mounts on the front and the rear. I couldnt afford the oem rear mount, and I needed a new front mount right there and then, so I had to resort to vatozone. I did check to see if the vacuum solenoid was functioning and it did when it was sitting at idle and you rev the throttle, the arm moves.
I only bought the PU insert for the front not because i knew the mount broke, but rather I had the tranny out and being a fan of PU parts, I thought the mount insert would help. I didnt do any research on it when I purchased it. I dont know what the ride will do without the torque mount insert. I have read that Energy suspension used to make all motor mounts on honda/acura until they found out they ended up cracking the frame, resulting with the production of mainly the torque mount inserts. I have double checked mount bolts, and whatnot, so I know my bolts are torqued down tight.

Does anyone have any more ideas or insight for me? I appreciate the help guys.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 AM

For best help you should answer the question DH asked. Did vibration start after mounts were replaced or before?

As mentioned in my first post, a recent poster had to replace the aftermarket rear mount to cure an idle problem. Some scrounging may be necessary to locate this part in a used salvage car.

good luck

Old 03-14-2009, 06:05 PM

I didnt notice any harsh idle or vibration before I did any work on my car. The car seemed to idle ok and not vibrate with the front mount busted for however long... I changed the mount and added the insert at the same time, and then I installed my replacement tranny. Started it all up, and took it for a test drive, when I arrived at home, and the car warmed up, and thats when it started to vibrate.

I dont know if theres any relation, but my transmission and motor heat up pretty quick and when everything heats up the performance of the acceleration decreases. (perhaps I should start a new thread for this)

And on another note, is it possible the starter is catching the flywheel without making extra noise? I accidently broke a starter housing bolt and had to drill a new one and send a bolt thru, and when I first started up after i finished installing the tranny it screeched at me and eventually the noise went away without fussing with it.

Any further ideas?

Last edited by ufosearch; 03-14-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 AM

Screeching starter is not uncommon. I have one that occasionally does this. I removed and examined the starter and flywheel. No apparent damage. Re-installed and problem remains, but very intermittent.

Vibration due to motor mounts is a strange problem. Some cars seem to idle OK w/o vacuum actuated mount, others need it to get a smooth idle.

good luck