General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start. Help guys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Default Car won't start. Help guys.

The current symptom is the car won't start. It was cranking last night. Now it's complely gone. It sounds like a turbine when I turn the key on.

What happened was my CAI got wet due to the car sitting out and it seems like water dripped to the CAI filter. Thus, when I turned it on, it would just crank. I tried using quick start etc to no avail. I used my spare spark plugs but the symptom is still there.

Could it be i need a new starter?
It sounds similar to this

Updated
It sounds like it's cranking now?
Here's a video of my car

Update #2!
The car is cranking and is trying to start. There's a split second where it's actually going to start rather than just cranking.

Update #3!!!
So I decided to just keep cranking the car after letting it sit for 1 hour. I kept going because i can hear her wanting to start. All of a sudden, she just started. I gave it some throttle as i crank and kabam! She started. I wonder if it was the distributor. But if it happens again, i know where to look first.

Last edited by lmrj0030; 01-12-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

So when you say your cai got wet do you mean a few sprinkles or drenched.

The engine needs fuel, spark, and compression to run. It doesn't sound like it is trying to start, it just keeps turning. Since you put starter fluid in I am guessing it is getting fuel. Have you checked for spark yet?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by live2rice
So when you say your cai got wet do you mean a few sprinkles or drenched.

The engine needs fuel, spark, and compression to run. It doesn't sound like it is trying to start, it just keeps turning. Since you put starter fluid in I am guessing it is getting fuel. Have you checked for spark yet?
I checked the spark plugs already and have used new ones from my spare and the result is the same.

I read somewhere that there could be water in the cylinder so i ran the car without the spark plugs on them. After doing this, the car wouldn't crank anymore (turbine sound)

I did a battery test and it came up to 12.4xVDC.

What I'm thinking is that when the filter was covered with water, and i turned the car to start, maybe the car sucked in the water and now the engine's sensor (similar to MAF?) won't allow the car the start until it's fully dry?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

So the spark plugs actually spark, or you just changed them?

by running without the spark plugs on you mean you took the spark plugs out and cranked it over?. Did water shoot out if so?

In the video you posted of your actual car the cranking sounds normal, which if it had water logged it probably wouldn't sound that way.

The car is a 98-02 right?

I don't think there is any sensor that would stop it from running because it senses water.

So is the car currently sounding like the video of your actual car or the one of the blue one that isnt cranking.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Yup, it's cranking, you need to check and make sure you've got spark to further diagnose. Also, how much water did it stuck up?

Last edited by Hicksvilleshick; 01-12-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM

Update!
The car is cranking and is trying to start. There's a split second where it's actually going to start rather than just cranking.

Originally Posted by Hicksvilleshick
Yup, it's cranking, you need to check and make sure you've got spark to further diagnose. Also, how much water did it stuck up?
The water drains from the windshield to the filter. I followed it and it seems to drain on the filter covering it with water. Aside from that, it hasn't been submerged.

Originally Posted by live2rice
So the spark plugs actually spark, or you just changed them?

by running without the spark plugs on you mean you took the spark plugs out and cranked it over?. Did water shoot out if so?

In the video you posted of your actual car the cranking sounds normal, which if it had water logged it probably wouldn't sound that way.

The car is a 98-02 right?

I don't think there is any sensor that would stop it from running because it senses water.

So is the car currently sounding like the video of your actual car or the one of the blue one that isnt cranking.
It does spark. I did a spark plug test by takng one out and grounding it.

No water came out. I shot my air compressor down the cylinder and it seemed fine prior to running it without all the plugs outs.

Thanks so the top video is bad and the bottom video (showing the engine bay) is normal.

Yes it's a 98-02 (6th gen)

Blue car is blue. The top one that doesn't show the engine bay isn't mine but it produced the same sound as mine. However, because it didnt sound that like when i shot the video, i looked for one that had similar sound.

Update #3!!!
So I decided to just keep cranking the car after letting it sit for 1 hour. I kept going because i can hear her wanting to start. All of a sudden, she just started. I gave it some throttle as i crank and kabam! She started. I wonder if it was the distributor. But if it happens again, i know where to look first.

Last edited by lmrj0030; 01-12-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Even with spark I would check the coil and coil wire considering the water element of the situation. When it is running with holding the plastic handle of a screw driver put the metal tip around the coil wire of the coil and other areas. If you get a spark you found the problem. I would also inspect the dist cap on the inside for water, carbon tracks and burn through(Gray areas not on the terminal areas) .

Last edited by kris_loehr; 01-12-2014 at 04:07 PM.