General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Catalytic Converter for 1992 accord LX 4dr 4AT, non-CA

Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Unhappy Catalytic Converter for 1992 accord LX 4dr 4AT, non-CA

Greetings,

Looking to see if anyone can confirm the length (apparently there's a 13in and 13.75 in variety) and/or honda part # for this part. Called dealer to get part #, but there was a lot of background noise at the dealership. All I could get was:

18160-L23 (?) - A01 (?) I know I have the first set of numbers right, but not the rest... sounded like: 18160-alltwothree-801. oy.

Need to get the correct aftermarket, as there is no way can afford the ~$800 price tag from the dealer. The part # would be best, though a confirm in length might do. Working on friend's car so car not here, else I'd just go pull it and take it to the parts store...

Thanks all!

P.S. hope I posted in correct forum. "exhaust" section appeared to be for customizing..and I just want to fix. Well, apologies if I've posted wrong and please don't hesitate to tell me.

Last edited by jtkj; 11-03-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Just go to a site like hondapartsdeals dot com and enter your car's information. The cat is under the exhaust section and it will give you the oem part number

Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jtkj
Greetings,

Looking to see if anyone can confirm the length (apparently there's a 13in and 13.75 in variety) and/or honda part # for this part. Called dealer to get part #, but there was a lot of background noise at the dealership. All I could get was:

18160-L23 (?) - A01 (?) I know I have the first set of numbers right, but not the rest... sounded like: 18160-alltwothree-801. oy.

Need to get the correct aftermarket, as there is no way can afford the ~$800 price tag from the dealer. The part # would be best, though a confirm in length might do. Working on friend's car so car not here, else I'd just go pull it and take it to the parts store...

Thanks all!

P.S. hope I posted in correct forum. "exhaust" section appeared to be for customizing..and I just want to fix. Well, apologies if I've posted wrong and please don't hesitate to tell me.
Check into your local emmissions laws and what they say about removing cats.

Where I live I can legally remove a cat. We do not have emmissions testing.

If you can remove it legally, then go to an exhaust shop, get them to cut out the cat and put in a piece of exhaust pipe. This will only cost a few dollars. Maybe $50.00 or $60.00

Otherwise check with some online honda parts places. You can also call your local honda dealer give them your VIN and ask for the part number. If they refuse call another dealer.

Did you try to search for the cat on Ebay?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Anywhere in USA it's illegal to remove the cat. When there's no testing that just means you're not very likely to get caught.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Anywhere in USA it's illegal to remove the cat. When there's no testing that just means you're not very likely to get caught.
Is this a general statement or is this factual?

I am in Alberta Canada and there are no restrictions on cat removals.

BC, and Ontario they are more strict with emmissions and such. I believe they active on enforcing the cat rules.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks for all the posts!

Not illegal to remove and replace your own cat here, though you do have do properly dispose of the old. I'm guessing most shops will take them, but I don't know.

What is in question is that since this car has failed an emissions test the VIN is in the DMV system and there's a very clear statement on the fail slip that if the car has failed emissions the repairs MUST be done at certified repair shop. Oy again.

One thing, please - repair shop said that often the aftermarket cats will fail emissions. Has anyone heard of this to be true??

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I used to do the emission testing in MI. How did they determine the Cat was bad? I don’t think there is any truth to aftermarket cats will fail emission test. I doubt if you have one on there now in working condition that a new one will change the results. When we had the testing in MI they had a limit you had to spend and after you reached the limit you got a wavier and got to do it all over the next year. In getting the vehicle to pass mostly the fuel mixture and engine tune made the most difference.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

US-EPA's jurisdiction is the entire USA (not Canada). Most places within USA don't enforce it. If they DO it's usually aimed at shops not individual car-owners.

When your area suddenly requires everyone to get smog checks (like Akron a few years ago) it's not because the FEDERAL LAW changed. It's just because the EPA took enough air measurements that came out bad, so they start enforcing the existing law.

Frequently (not always) an "aftermarket cat" is little more than a test-pipe. THAT kind will fail emmissions. An aftermarket cat that's a legitimate cat should be OK. After all, Honda doesn't actually make the catalytic converter, it's probably Bosal or Denso or some other company.

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-04-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks again everyone.

Here's the actual Honda OEM (which you can get by giving the dealer your VIN - duh I said to myself ):
18160-PT3-Y01

NAPA auto has an aftermarket that's more affordable, so I'll get that one as I'm guessing NAPA would not sell a "testpipe" :-).

Also, NAPA says their part does not exactly cross-reference to the OEM. All the same except the last 3 digits. Says he's never had anyone return one for not fitting. We'll see and I'll post again if'n it's not just right.

Cheers!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

When we had testing in Michigan it was tied to federal money for roads.