General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL Code?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 PM
EJ30189
Unregistered
Default CEL Code?

1995 Accord V6

When I jump the service check connector, it gave me these flashing light on the CEL. It first blink once very long then right after 6 short quick blinks; then paused and blink 7 times very short and quick. Can anyone identify this code for me or direct me to a site that will identify the code? Also, I'm going to autozone to have the OBD I scan. I was wondering if I get the OBD scan, will it give me codes thatONLY pertains to emissions or will I get any and all codes from ECU? I also have an auto tranny and it blink a code of 4 green blinks on the D4. Can anyone tell me that code as well? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CEL Code?

try this link for ECU flash codes;
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...hondacodes.txt
This one for TCU/Trans codes;
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6...shcodes1fj.jpg

Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 PM
EJ30189
Unregistered

Thanks! That really help. I now know my tranny code but can't seem to identify ECU code. Not sure how to interpret the blinks. I'm also wondering if autozone OBD scanner will give me all engine code or are they limited to emission codes only.

I would've never found that link even with the all the searching I've done on this forum. Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
EJ30189
Unregistered

1995 Accord V6/Auto

Code 17 VSS speed sensor. Code 4 on TCU speed sensor. Can some show me the location of the VSS speed sensor and the best place to purchase the sensor for replacement?

Old 08-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Did you take it to AutoZone? The OBD II code reader will tell you ALL of the engine related codes, but not the tranny codes.
Does your RPM needle bounce up and down intermittently? Mine did that for a few years. The AutoZone code said all kinds of issues for the code it was throwing regarding the RPM needle bounce. Here's a link to my thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_56200/tm.htm
It also shows how I resolved the problem.
Let me know if it is showing an o2 sensor code. Honda has an extended warranty for 150k miles or 14 years on emissions related components - service bulletin 98-081.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:49 PM
EJ30189
Unregistered

Thanks ooAccordlx, I believe the 95 V6 accord is an OBD I system is it not? I think autozone won't check OBD I system. I didn't have a problem with the RPM gauge but the MPH gauge. Thats the one that goes crazy. My RPM gauge is fine. Man, you went through hell with that problem. I hope I have a better chance of getting my issue resolve quicker and less painful then whatyou went through but I guess it is a lesson to be learn. I did the service jumper and readed the blinks to get my code. It is also throwing a throttle sensor codeas well. Was going to purchase a VSS sensor off ebay for $20 and plug it in to see if the problem is solve.
Thanks also for the bulletin info. My accord has reach 170K+ miles and I don't think they will even try to take care of my car in regards to the recall. I just wanted to know where the location of the VSS sensor is for replacement since I think thats the cause of my problem but I won't rule out anything else. Thanks again for the info.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

I think the 95 V6 is OBDII and Autozone can scan those codes. You can still do the OBDI trick and jump the service connector and read the OBDI codes.

I am confused about your first post. 1 long blink = 10 and the short blinks =1 and pauses between each code. So from your description, you would have a code 16 and a 7. The TCU showed a VSS problem (TCU code 4). The ECU should have flashed a code 17.

Can you recheck your ECU codes, because they are not making sense to me. Also, is your car showing any strange symptoms?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: EJ30189

Thanks ooAccordlx, I believe the 95 V6 accord is an OBD I system is it not?
The '95 V6 is OBD II. That's a fact. The service connector is behind the ashtray. If the guys at AZ tell you it's not OBD II they don't know what they are talking about. Tell them to plug the machine up to that service connector behind the ashtray. It will give the codes. Don't listen to what they tell you the problem is though. The printout they get is "universal." Post the codes here (with the code numbers)and we'll tell you what the Honda problem is.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:26 AM
EJ30189
Unregistered

I thank you for the reply. If it is an OBD II system then I will get the code scan. I read the blinks wrong when I did the service jump. It is one long blink follow by 7 quick blink pause, then 7 long blinks. VSS sensor and throttle sensor. I've check the connection on both sensor and then also reset the CEL light by disconnection the battery, hook it back up and went for a drive to see if the code would reappear again. It did and it gave me the same code including the TCU code 4. The only symptoms are the hard shift from gear to gear (auto) and the MPH tach. going crazy. My RPM tach. is fine. I've found a website http://techauto.te.funpic.org/vss.phpthat will help me troubleshoot and verify if it is the VSS sensor. I hope the throttle sensor is just a fault cause by the VSS sensor since that sensor is expensive.
Has anyone purchase the VSS sensor off ebay? I'm just wondering if paying $20 is worth it since that is so cheap compare to the other auto part store price. Hopefully autozone will scan and verify that it is the same code. Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have used a VSS off ebay w/ no problems. I don't remember the vendor, and there are many. Look for a good feedback rating of at least 98%.

good luck

Quick Reply: CEL Code?