General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CEL code 1166

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Default CEL code 1166

Hello.

I know there are a few forums on this topic already so I apologize for beating a dead horse (as they say)

CEL has been on for some time. I am overdue for an e-test. In Canada they won't even touch it with the CEL on. The car was manufactured in Japan, but sold in California, then shipped to Detroit before being imported into Ontario. I had a friend use a portable scanner to see what codes came up and it came up with P1166. In looking at other threads it seems it's the O2 sensor (a/f sensor). Now the problem. What OEM part# do I need? I've found a few and don't want to order something online just to have it be incorrect. Is it the DENSO 234-025 or something else? I'm just a dumb girl trying to save a couple of bucks

2000 Honda Accord SE ULEV 4 Cyl 2.3L (CA emissions)

Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

There are some online honda dealers (majestic, bernardi, ect) that you can put your vin into and then look up parts. Get the OE part number and put that into denso's site and check the part number.

GUESSING here, but I think you have the SULEV engine - based on the car being from CA and the code.....so I see it as 234-9014.

However, you should test the issue, this could be as simple as the fuse for the o2 heater circuit is blown. Have a volt meter and a bit of time?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Default 234-9014

Thank you Poorman!

I took your advice and went to the denso website. They had photos of the parts. I looked at the end connectors of the sensors and compared them to what is currently installed in my beloved Accord and the 9014 was definitely the one I need. I have since ordered one online, since I couldn't find it in Canada (argh!). I know it's the sensor and not the circuit since my performance has been slipping for sometime and she darn near stalls when I idle.

Do you know anything about a sticky accelerator or the SRS light? Both have been long-running issues that I've ignored.

A-

Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

that code and A/F ratio sensor heater won't cause the car to stall at idle...but i'd imagine your sticky accelerator has something to do with it. even if you get the MIL off don't expect any return to normal operation. the accelerator/idle issue needs to be addressed.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Willing to get your hands a bit dirty

As Dr said, a can of throttle body cleaner and a few rags might handle the sticky throttle. Remove the tube going to the throttle body and give it a good cleaning.....a rag to wipe and that....an old tooth brush is a plus . Get both sides of the butterfly in the tb, work the throttle (car off) cable to open it all the way.

The SRS, I'll GUESS this is an issue with the drivers seat belt buckle. Many/some have had luck with cleaning it....wd-40 or some other fluid, being sure to wipe away anything left over. Basically where the belt slips into....that connection can/does get dirt in it and the belt "thinks" it is not connected but knows "you" are in the seat....hence something is wrong.