General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL and TCS in tandem, EGR ports

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Question CEL and TCS in tandem, EGR ports

So I'm new here and saw a few threads that kind of halfway addressed the problems I'm having, but not for my year or trim level. So firstly, I drive a 2002 Accord Sedan EX 3.0L V6 (VTEC) with an automatic transmission. I've never really had any substantial problems, but...

I've pulled the code P0401 multiple times from my car...the CEL likes to turn on and off at its leisure. Sometimes it won't come on for a month or so and then comes on and stays on for around a week. Every time I pull the code it's the same one. Problem is, I've pulled the EGR sensor from the engine before and cleaned it out, then floored the gas on the highway to blow all the residual carbon out of the exhaust. This helped for a whole two weeks. Now, the only DIY I've found for this specific model year and engine was here...except I don't have the time nor the mechanical inclination (for ground vehicles, anyway) to attempt to drill into my EGR port. Is this something that would be really expensive to have someone do for me? If I didn't need the car to drive back and forth to work every day it'd be a different story--I could at least try.

The other problem is that the TCS light always illuminates when the CEL does, no matter what. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't have to tell you guys that the TCS light being illuminated means that it's off. When I turn off the car and turn it back on, the TCS light goes away but the CEL remains. This also happens intermittently with the side airbag light.

Every time I refuel, I of course make sure I hear at least three clicks when I am tightening the fuel cap. I've never seen an issue arise from this.

Lastly, is the maintenance req'd light set to illuminate at certain mileage intervals from the last oil change? I ask because I recently made the switch to high mileage synthetic (the CEL and such was happening before this change) and I know for a fact I can go at least 6k miles on synthetic before my next oil change. I imagine the light illuminates after around 3k miles from the last time it was reset, is this correct? I know I have barely driven over 3k from my last oil change, much less 7k.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

The P0401 is for insufficient flow. That means that you have to remove the intake manifold and clean out the EGR port.

Search for v=HRp6RWZ1egM on YouTube for a good video on how to do this.

Take care of the P0401 first.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by life is killing me
So I'm new here and saw a few threads that kind of halfway addressed the problems I'm having, but not for my year or trim level. So firstly, I drive a 2002 Accord Sedan EX 3.0L V6 (VTEC) with an automatic transmission. I've never really had any substantial problems, but...

I've pulled the code P0401 multiple times from my car...the CEL likes to turn on and off at its leisure. Sometimes it won't come on for a month or so and then comes on and stays on for around a week. Every time I pull the code it's the same one. Problem is, I've pulled the EGR sensor from the engine before and cleaned it out, then floored the gas on the highway to blow all the residual carbon out of the exhaust. This helped for a whole two weeks. Now, the only DIY I've found for this specific model year and engine was here...except I don't have the time nor the mechanical inclination (for ground vehicles, anyway) to attempt to drill into my EGR port. Is this something that would be really expensive to have someone do for me? If I didn't need the car to drive back and forth to work every day it'd be a different story--I could at least try.

The other problem is that the TCS light always illuminates when the CEL does, no matter what. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't have to tell you guys that the TCS light being illuminated means that it's off. When I turn off the car and turn it back on, the TCS light goes away but the CEL remains. This also happens intermittently with the side airbag light.

Every time I refuel, I of course make sure I hear at least three clicks when I am tightening the fuel cap. I've never seen an issue arise from this.

Lastly, is the maintenance req'd light set to illuminate at certain mileage intervals from the last oil change? I ask because I recently made the switch to high mileage synthetic (the CEL and such was happening before this change) and I know for a fact I can go at least 6k miles on synthetic before my next oil change. I imagine the light illuminates after around 3k miles from the last time it was reset, is this correct? I know I have barely driven over 3k from my last oil change, much less 7k.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • P0401 generally requires the EGR port cleaned, no real way around it other than removing intake manifold and cleaning.
  • TCS indicator light on can mean more than just the TCS off. It can also mean there is a problem with the TCS. (See attached pic.) Get the car scan for trouble codes when the CEL is on with the TCS. Gol to Autozone to get the code read for free.
  • If the side airbag light comes on sometimes, it may be due to a faulty occupant position detection system (OPDS). See service bulletin:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-904e.pdf
  • The maintenance required indicator comes between 6,000 - 7,500 miles for ten seconds, after 7,500 miles it stays on if not reset. (See attached pic.)

Attached Thumbnails CEL and TCS in tandem, EGR ports-tcs-indicator.jpg   CEL and TCS in tandem, EGR ports-maintenance-required-indicator.jpg  
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Well, my main concern is not having the time to do the EGR port myself. The one DIY I saw was more involved than just removing the intake manifold, and without a ride or another car to drive, I can't start this if it is going to take more than a day. Is it something that would be pretty expensive to have someone do, or is it going to be relatively cheap (sub-$500)? I change my own oil and do small servicing tasks myself such as rotating my own tires and such, but cleaning out the EGR port seemed like a larger undertaking to me, especially when factoring in the part where you need a power drill.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by life is killing me
Well, my main concern is not having the time to do the EGR port myself. The one DIY I saw was more involved than just removing the intake manifold, and without a ride or another car to drive, I can't start this if it is going to take more than a day. Is it something that would be pretty expensive to have someone do, or is it going to be relatively cheap (sub-$500)? I change my own oil and do small servicing tasks myself such as rotating my own tires and such, but cleaning out the EGR port seemed like a larger undertaking to me, especially when factoring in the part where you need a power drill.
Here is the TSB. If you install the pipe, then you would use a power drill. However, if not installing the pipe and just cleaning, then just a drill bit and turning by hand.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/A99-085.pdf

The EGR pipe kit retails for $131.78, though you can order it for around $96 plus shipping from an internet Honda dealer. However, you can always just clean the port without installing the EGR pipe from the kit. It is known that even if you install the pipe kit, the EGR port may get clogged again in the future.

Figure about 1.5 hours labor. So yes, even if you paid someone to do it, it should still be sub-$500.

Last edited by redbull-1; 05-13-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 PM

I may end up having to just take it to a Honda dealership near my home; it's not the dealership from which I bought the car, but perhaps they can tell me if the PUD applied? Based on the message it didn't apply to my model year but I certainly am getting the code that indicates the EGR problem. I also know that it will cost more than just buying the pipe kit if I do it myself--replacing gaskets and the valve itself will also cost me. I probably will not use the pipe kit.

Is there any kind of long-term effect that leaving this problem alone will have? I haven't noticed much, if any, effects on gas mileage and the engine runs fine otherwise. I always run the code so I know that it's not throwing other codes at me too.

I know you guys have probably beat this dead horse a million times, so I really appreciate the replies.

Last edited by life is killing me; 05-13-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: need to add something
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't any drivability or efficiency problems or have emission testing requirements (i.e, some states have emission test that doesn't allow the CEL to be on or have trouble codes to pass, also clogged egr ports may affect emissions), then you probably could leave it like that a while. You can always wait till you encounter some drivability issues.

The TSB didn't list your model year; however, your model year car is essentially the same design. There was no changes for your 2002 Accord that would have prevented the EGR port clogging.