General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

change "donut" exhaust gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Default change "donut" exhaust gasket

I noticed some exhaust leakage, not excessively bad (yet) coming up from underneath from in the general area right behind the front seats. Plus can hear (from outside) kind of an exhaust leak type sound too. I haven't yet really jacked up the car and scooted myself under there to look at things closer yet, but I'm gonna take a wild guess here and assume for now I'll be needing to change out that "donut" gasket as their commonly called. Any advice/tips on best way to proceed in regard to doing this job myself (once I've determined for certain that's where the leak is). I have a couple of jackstands and a jack and a can of PB Blaster and wrenches etc. I'll be doing this in my gravel driveway probably while it's raining, maybe freezing outside. Probably need to remove a shroud and all that first? Maybe a crossmember or something too? I'm expecting no fun, that's for sure.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, never worked on a 1992 Accord, but I will say, I haven't seen a donut gasket in an exhaust system for a long-LONG time. Do you know for sure your car uses such a gasket?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 PM

Okay maybe they don't really call it a donut gasket anymore, but I think it's probably part #26 shown on this diagram: 1992 Honda Accord 4 Door DX KA 4AT Exhaust System - HondaPartsNow.com
Although I'm a little confused by that diagram, it calls that gasket "pre-chamber" and I would assume that means pre-catalytic converter chamber but maybe not. The leak is behind the cat pretty sure.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like a donut gasket to me. Oh the memories...

Old 12-02-2014, 01:12 PM

I'm getting hungry thinking about donuts now.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

To work you may need an extra set of jack stands or ramps. I elevated my 94EX on front ramps and rear jack stands to perform muffler/tail pipe replacement (probably same are you will be investigating).

I found corrosion (internal to external) holes in tail pipe and muffler, but joints were still intact.

You need an inspection to know what parts you need.

good luck

Old 12-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
To work you may need an extra set of jack stands or ramps. I elevated my 94EX on front ramps and rear jack stands to perform muffler/tail pipe replacement (probably same are you will be investigating). I found corrosion (internal to external) holes in tail pipe and muffler, but joints were still intact. You need an inspection to know what parts you need.
Okay thanks TexasHonda. That's kind what I figured, will have to get set up with the whole car up off the ground with another set of jackstands or ramps or whatever. Even just to inspect the whole business properly/thoroughly. And go from there. Back to ya'll later. thanks

Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 AM

You can back the car up onto ramps to view the muffler and B-pipe for inspection. You can also jack the front right corner a little and place a stand under it to better view where the B-pipe and the cat meet. Find out what you need from there. If the car is getting the 1,800 rpm "buzz" the. You might as well replace the short a-pipe doughnuts and spring bolts as well since you are under there. I don't know if Honda still has the "buzz" fix kits left in stalk but is is worth checking since it comes with everything and is much cheaper then buying individual pieces.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
You can back the car up onto ramps to view the muffler and B-pipe for inspection. You can also jack the front right corner a little and place a stand under it to better view where the B-pipe and the cat meet. Find out what you need from there. If the car is getting the 1,800 rpm "buzz" the. You might as well replace the short a-pipe doughnuts and spring bolts as well since you are under there. I don't know if Honda still has the "buzz" fix kits left in stalk but is is worth checking since it comes with everything and is much cheaper then buying individual pieces.
I'll see what I can see by following the suggestions quoted above, and pinpoint the particular leak, thanks. Hmm, I hadn't heard of the "honda exhaust buzz" before your mention of it. I couldn't really tell you if I've been experiencing such a buzz for sure, but that unique noise the car seems to make is like a buzzing actually. I can tell by hearing it that it's our car driving up the street and into the driveway when I'm sitting in the living room and my wife is driving home. I'll definitely have to check more into these buzz kits and that issue; sounds like I have the buzz man.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM

It's not as easy as it looks. Parts are rusted, nuts might as well as be welded. I would let a local independent shop fix this. Pick your battles.

Quick Reply: change "donut" exhaust gasket