General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed to synthetic and changed the plugs at the same time..

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Default Changed to synthetic and changed the plugs at the same time..

Which one of the twos of those things made it run so extremely much better?

I had NGK platinums in there (I think- the ones that came out had the sharp tiny tip electrode) .... they were only in there about 15k miles ... I put NGK Copper in there this time ..

Also switched over to Mobil 1 from Valvoline Maxlife..

The throttle response is better and the engine just doesn't seem to be working nearly as hard as it use to.. Not sure what did it

Definitely always never run anything that is not NGK when you put plugs into a 1993 accord, ever, it does not like anything else.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

"throttle response is better and the engine just doesn't seem to be working nearly as hard"

These performance measures are subjective and inherently easy to be biased by knowledge that you had done something to improve your car.

Only way to know for sure is to measure something; gas mileage, 0-60 acceleration, etc.

good luck

Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Ah, yes, the good ol' placebo effect

I definitely notice a better throttle response and I am not having to get into the pedal as far when I'm accelerating... Just seems a lot smoother and more "fluid" now as I'm going through the gears

I can only attribute the better throttle response to the plugs, I suppose.. Is it far fetched to believe that the synthetic oil is flowing better and causing the acceleration to be "easier"?

Was also curious to know if it's possible for the copper plugs to work better than the platinums because looking at the platinums that came out, the tip of the electrode is TINY and I don't think my engine called for those

Like you say though... good ol' placebo effect could well be in play

Old 11-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Still, if I were to GUESS, then plugs would seem more likely. Even if a tiny improvement is amplified by wishful thinking. If you really care, check the NGK numbers on the old plugs in case they were the wrong heat range or something like that.

Aside from synthetic hype, the oil should have about the same amount of drag once it's warmed up. Advantage of synthetic is winter startup when the engine is still below 30 deg.F.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Now you mention it, the Saab boards have performance guys who like Cu plugs better. But they have to change them frequently. Probably the biggest advantage of Pt plugs is the long life, especially for people who pay a shop to change them.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Always good to note improvement; I believe your observation.
I've noted my 5spd tranny shifts better after I change the engine oil.
Not kidding, but I just don't post it, 'cuz I can't explain it in my own mind...

Originally Posted by 93Accord2.2
Also switched over to Mobil 1 from Valvoline Maxlife..
Which flavor of Mobil 1 did you switch to? Hi Mileage?
... maybe update us in a few thousand miles? I've the same vintage engine.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Still, if I were to GUESS, then plugs would seem more likely. Even if a tiny improvement is amplified by wishful thinking. If you really care, check the NGK numbers on the old plugs in case they were the wrong heat range or something like that.

Aside from synthetic hype, the oil should have about the same amount of drag once it's warmed up. Advantage of synthetic is winter startup when the engine is still below 30 deg.F.
That makes perfect sense. I think I should not have been running the plugs I had.. I'll check them some time when I am not so lazy

Old 11-05-2013, 05:27 PM

I used Mobil one full synthetic on my 2005 Ody. 122,000 trouble free miles. Would it have performed the same on conventional? Probably. But my 2013 Accord will have full synthetic as well.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
Always good to note improvement; I believe your observation.
I've noted my 5spd tranny shifts better after I change the engine oil.
Not kidding, but I just don't post it, 'cuz I can't explain it in my own mind...

Which flavor of Mobil 1 did you switch to? Hi Mileage?
... maybe update us in a few thousand miles? I've the same vintage engine.

Yes high mileage 5w30