General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Synthetic or non-synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 07:15 PM
albertgarrido
Unregistered
Default Synthetic or non-synthetic?

I'm just bought a leftover 2004 Accord EX for 19K. (great deal!)

My qyestionis, the manual says change oil every 10K for normal dirving. I was thinking of using synthetic every 5k. Anythoughts on whether to go 5K or 10K? and whether to go synthtic or not?

Interestingly enough, the manual says not to change the FIRST oil change too soon because there is a "special blend" from the factory.

Help! :-)

Old 02-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Default RE: Synthetic or non-synthetic?

Welcome

I am pro-synthetic and have it in everything including lawn mower and weed eater.

Personally I would not take any dino oil to 10K. True synthetics like Mobil 1 will do it with ease. Not all oils labeled synthetic are 100% synthetic, by the way.

Changing synthetic @5K will not be of benefit and would be rather expensive. At 5K intervals any good dino 5W20 oil will do the job well.

I used Fram filters for decades before they began their decline. They now have the dubious distinction of being the most poorly constructed oil filter available. Some of the higher priced Frams are good but you can spend a lot less and get even better quality.

To make it worse the Honda OEM filters made in the USA are made by Fram, the Japanese filters are not. Will the car blow up and bring about the end of the world by using Fram? Of course not! I am only pointing out that there are better choices available.

The "break in" oil is made to Honda's specs by Exxon Mobil. It is high in moly to ease the engine through the break in period. It is strongly recommended that you leave it in for 5K but check it OFTEN. It is not unusual for the new engine to consume some oil during this time.

Bobistheoilguy is a site that reigns supreme about oil & related items. If you wish to learn, that is the place. Not opinion or speculation but proven fact is the rule there.