General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Changing AT Fluid for the first time.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Default Changing AT Fluid for the first time.

So I read some on this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...lushing-30952/

In a nut shell:

Drain the fluid with car jacked up (obviously)
Fill with new fluid
Drive the car in D & R, and check to see how smoothly it engages
Turn off car
Drain the fluid (which acts like a soft-flush)
Then refill with new fluid and your done

Is that the basics of it? Anything important I am missing?

I have a '99 Honda Accord 3.0L V6 AT. It has 231k on it and I have owned it since 120k, with no prior history known on the car. I am rough on this car as it is my beater.

What exact fluid am I to use on my car? How much does it hold? I do not have an owner's manual.

By reading this forum, seems like my car is a ticking time bomb. I've missed all the "checkpoints" 2 and 3 times over.

Last edited by 5.0stang; 04-19-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Those are basically the steps. Honda's are picky about their fluid so just go with genuine DW-1 to be safe. One drain and fill releases a little less than 3 qts but always check the dipstick level. To make sure the proper amount comes out, I would make sure the fluid is hot. Also, I would drop the car back down to level ground after you crack open the drain bolt to again ensure an even amount is removed. Since you are long overdue for a fluid change, do it 3 times with a drive cycle in between each change. You can space it out over a few days or weeks if you like. There is also a vid. on YouTube about using the oil cooler lines to flush everything out in one sitting including the torque converter. This seems like the most efficient way to change the fluid but I am to much of a wuss to do it that way Then afterwards, do a drain/fill each oil change to help the fluid stay freshened up. Make sure you get plenty of leverage on the drain bolt. That sucker is on their tight and you don't want a stripped one like I had.

Last edited by mclasser; 04-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 PM

So the DW-1 ATF is what I need, gotcha. So we are going to flush, more or less, good quality ATF fluid within minutes of filling it up - ouch.

Anyone got the exact amount the transmission takes for my notes?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM

You stated DW-1, but the link I posted suggest: "The term “flushing” refers to repeatedly draining and refilling the trans with Honda Genuine
ATF-Z1."

What is the difference?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 PM

Its 2 quarts for the 4 cyl, I believe it will be about the same for the v6. Buy 3 quarts and take back the third if you do not need it. I found the dealer is the cheapest. Stores dont usually stock honda brand and to buy it online is expensive in shipping costs.

You dont need to really "flush" it as much as just drain and refill. I had to do it for my manual tran. Should be about the same procedure.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 04-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Where is the fill plug at on the 3.2L Honda Accords? It is a 1999 Auto.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM

On the transmission housing you should see two plugs. Under the car. If its the same or similar as the other Hondas and the manual transmission-
One will fit a 3/8" ratchet on it and the other will be a 17 or 15mm I think. one should be above the other.
Again, if this is similar to a manual transmission, you will need to rig a hose to a funnel, feed it down to the top hole on the housing and fill it up that way so that youre pouring into the funnel from the engine bay down to under the car with the hose fed into the transmission housing.

i would look on youtube. i forgot about the torque converter so its not as simple as drain and refill. I cant give the best advice since my car is a stick. But Ill tell you what I know.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM

On mine, I just drain and replace about 2.5 quarts with Z-1 (now DW-1?), no need to jack up the car.
I have read there may be after market fluid that is suitable, I'd like to know for sure, the stuff I just got from Honda was $10.50 a quart.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM

I was kinda right, kinda wrong. Heres the page in the FSM for the V6 6th gens. And I would not recommend anything but Honda/Acura transmission fluid. Its worth paying a little more for your car in that department, considering how expensive transmission jobs are.

Attached Thumbnails Changing AT Fluid for the first time.-hondaaccord1998-2002servicemanual_zps2bcd2d21.jpg  

Quick Reply: Changing AT Fluid for the first time.