General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Default Cheap Tires

My car came with Michelins from the factory, however, when I bought my car they had some company called Fusion on them. These Fusion tires are about half the price of the Michelins but they have the same measurements of the stock tires. Ever since I bought the car sometimes when I hit the gas there is a slight vibration under the pedal at lower speeds (<45), could this be because of the cheap tires on the car or is it some other problem? BTW the only time I don't feel the vibration is when I'm on a very smooth road.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Cheap Tires

Could be a lot of things, but I doubt it's the Fuzions. They aren't horridly bad for their price, my buddy had them on his Audi A4 and they drove just as nice as my Kumho's. It could be a warped rotors or maybe you're out of alignment or an unbalanced wheel...

Old 03-11-2008, 05:36 PM

Well I know it's not the rotors or the alignment because they were both done by the dealer when I bought the car. But the front right tire had the lowest air pressure when I checked all 4. Does that mean that the tire is unbalanced?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM

doesnt mean the tire is unbalanced but if you run a tire low on air for any length of time it could damage the steel belts inside and cause the vibration. or like finch said it could be out of balance or the rim has a slight warp in it which can also happen from running a tire low on air.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

OR it could be the drive axle out-of-balance. Or a loose ball joint. I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet because it MIGHT be so many different things.

Well, I hope the dealer would have discovered a loose ball joint when they did the alignment...

Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 AM

Could it be that this is normal? I'm starting to get worried now lol. Anyway, I'm due for an oil change in at 45K so I'll talk to a tech at the dealership and see what they say. By the way, how often should the brake rotors be changed on these cars? I know the brake pads were changed once, I'm jw. Thanks

Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Big vibrations aren't normal. Yours is a small vibration? The only time you don't feel it is on a very smooth road? Makes me wonder if it's just road noise transmitted loudly by the tires?? Accord isn't a Lincoln Town Car... my 2003 Accord is pretty smooth but I can still feelthe texture of a roughroad.

I don't know Fusions real well, but tires can run the gamut. Some harder performance-type tires really transmit a lot of noise & roughness from the road. Just the nature of the beast.

As much as we like to help, there's just too many possible things to cause a small vibration. We can make suggestions, but somone (your mechanic?) has to rule out each one by one. There's no real substitute for driving it firsthand.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM

Yea it is a small vibration I'm beginning to think it is just the texture of the road or something, I just get paranoid with these problems because I've had so many with the Lincoln over the last 2 years. My neighbor(he's ASE certified BTW) says it's probably normal but it just seems awkward to me because of how smooth the ride in the Lincoln is.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 PM

This does not answer your question, but I like the Fuzions that I have had for about 6 months and 12k miles. They ride nice, show no wear yet, and I will buy them again if they continue to perform this well. Not to mention, $200 total including shipping to my door.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Another reason for vibration under those conditions can be wear inside the inner CV joint.
maybe you could 'eyeball' the inner joint boot to see if it is slinging out grease.