General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Accord Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:23 PM
old_phart
Unregistered
Default 1990 Accord Starting Problem

My problem is this: 1990 2.2L engine: there is spark at the plugs, there is fuel at the rail or bus that the injectors sit on. I'm no mechanic, but I wonder if there is a common problem with this engine that someone might know of, or if someone could point me in the right direction for further tests/trouble shooting. Symptom - car driven home one night and wouldn't start the next morning, I left it for about five days and it started, thinking that I may have a dirty fuel filter, I changed it, a couple of days later, but it wouldn't start after the fuel filter was changed. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 1990 Accord Starting Problem

Any no-start problem starts w/ same question; fuel problem or ignition? Next time no start occurs, check the fuel rail for fuel pressure by cracking the bleed plug or banjo bolt connection. You should get a powerful spray of fuel (40+ psi is normal).

If nothing ora dribble, low fuel pressure is reason for no start. This could be 1) failing main fuel relay or 2) intermittent fuel pump. I recently has a fuel pump that would start fine when car was recently used, but would fail to kick off after sitting for a few hours or overnight. I could "hammer" w/ repeated key off-on-off-on until it would finally catch (you can hear fuel pump if you listen carefully w/ doors closed and windows up).

If plenty of fuel pressure and you are getting spark to a removed plug, the problem may be weak spark. This has happened to me and several others. Spark may look OK, but too weak to ignite fuel. Check w/ a timing light to see if timing light will flash w/ lead attached to a a spark plug lead. If no flash, the spark is too weak to jump the spark plug gap under compression pressure. New coil or ignitor is most likely fix. See DIY section to determine coil or ignitor.

good luck

Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
old_phart
Unregistered

Thanks TexasHonda for your reply.

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. There IS plenty of fuel at the fuel rail and there IS spark at the plug I pulled out, but the engine doesn't run. Now I'm unsure where to go from here? I know the injectors are controlled by the computer, but what I was trying to find out is, if there is a common problem that causes something like this, and I could go directly to look at that? I'm not a mechanic, but am a retired communications technician, but I don't have access to a diagnostic computer for this unit.

I had included the bit about changing the fuel filter and the bit about it starting 5 days after it first died, to give a bit of history on it being intermittent.

Thanks for any info that you may be able to provide.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:37 PM

My post still applies. You don't know whether fuel or lack of spark is causing the problem. One or other is missing preventing start despite your previous work. As I pointed out, spark to a plug that is in air is different from spark on a plug at 150+ psi in the engine. If you're sure there is plenty of fuel pressure when you have no-start, the problem is weak spark or mistiming (very unlikely since it starts sometimes). It is possible the fuel injectors are not opening, but not likely.

Another fuel/spark check is to spray some throttle body cleaner or starter fluid into the throttle body while turning the engine over. If engine starts, then fuel is not being delivered. If engine won't start, spark is missing.

Weak spark should be diagnosed per earlier message or with a spark tester.

good luck

Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 PM
old_phart
Unregistered

I missed the point about the weak spark. 8-(
The fuel gushes out when I crack the line to the rail from the fuel filter and turn the key on, so I don't think it is fuel that is causing the problem, so I will try the timing light idea, but to be on the safe side I think I'll also look at the injector lines with a meter or oscilloscope to see if they are being pulsed. I changed the ignition control module and coil about a year back, so I am hoping that is not the problem but I will look at the rotor and cap a little more carefully.
You have given me some more ideas, Thanks again.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 PM

I think you're on the right trail. I agree that fuel delivery is unlikely the problem. Injectors are possible, but very few problems are reported w/ this circuit, so seems less likely. You can hear the injectors clicking w/ a stethoscope or listening tube.

Cracked rotor or cap is a possibility to be checked.

I had an aftermarket ignitor fail after less than a year in a 90 Accord EX. I replaced w/ original ignitor since I misdiagnosed ignitor when coil was the problem. I sold the car w/ the original ignitor still working at 270K miles.

good luck