General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 accord lx starting problem (new one)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
kreidy
Unregistered
Default 1990 accord lx starting problem (new one)

Hello, I just drove out from San Francisco, CA to Ann Arbor MI this past week. Being a 215,000 mile california car, I am almost positive yesterday was the first time my accord had been started in single digit weather. It cranked slow, but fired. Today, however it cranked and fired for a split second, then nothing after trying for a few minutes. It doesn't sound like its even trying.

I read the post recently by hansw3 about the 90 accord that had a starting problem, but I don't believe I have the same issue. tried jumping it with the AAA guy's truck, and nothing. I pulled a plug out and it smelled like gas, but I don't know if that means anything.

I have heard a rumor that the ignitor or coil goes out after a while on these models, any truth to that? Could this have anything to do with the 5 degree temp?

What should I do to this car to prepare it for this weather?

Also ,what battery do you guys recommend for this climate?

Kevin

Old 12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 1990 accord lx starting problem (new one)

Your problem appears to be ignition. I say appears because gas-wet plugs are not enough to be certain. Try a start using throttle body cleaner or starter fluid sprayed in the intake (release air filter cover to spray directly into duct). If not a hint of start, then ignition problem is confirmed.

If however, it kicks over briefly this would suggest problem is fuel delivery; main fuel relay or fuel pump most likely faults.

If ignition is indicated, the coil or ignitor are the likely faults w/ coil being more likely. Check DIY section for procedure to differentiate between ignitor and coil.

It is also possible, your ignition electrical switch is failing and not providing ignition voltage to distributor. You can check this w/ VOM at the distributor by disconnecting 8 pin connector at distributor, and check blk/yel wire for 12V w/ keyswitch ON. If no voltage keyswitch is bad.

good luck