General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hope it stays off!

You could reset your ECU so that error code isn't stored to confuse you sometime in the future.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator
At least youv'e got the CEL out..now is time for you to research as to why it came on in the first place..so that it doesn't happen all over again..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light-lebron125.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
essdee
Unregistered

Hi guys, I had exact same problem. Now I'm gonna start and stop the engine couple of times and see if my CEL goes away.
Also could you guys put more light on how to clear the error codes from ECU?
Thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
essdee
Unregistered

I have tried it infact 10 times hoping it will go but didn't budge!! Any suggestions ?
I checked everything.. dismantled and refitted the filter again and checked if all connections were fine, and tried couple of time again to restart but CEL is still on...
O sorry I missed on my car's history. Its 07 EX-L with 30K on the clock. Bought it 5 months ago from dealer with 24K on it.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Essdee, yours should still be under warranty???

You can clear the ECU by disconnecting the battery. But if you don't fix the reason the CEL came on, it'll just come right back on. You say it's EXACTLY the same, but the original poster never actually determined what the error was. Get the error code number & go from there.

Certain errors aren't gonna clear by simply starting & stopping the engine 100 times. You have to drive under enough varied conditions to set all the "readiness" codes.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
essdee
Unregistered

Thanks a lot Jim, I did exactly as said. This morning I went to a Honda dealer and asked them what to do with it. At first he was like ... "I will need to charge you $99 to check the ECU code etc.." i was like, wtf, if there is a problem then it should come back up even after reset! - which he agreed. So I asked him to clear the code by pulling the battery terminal. And after that the light didn't come back up.. According to him it might have happened because some dust particle might have fallen on MAS sensor. I hope light doesn't come back up again.

Also since I was there so I asked him whether I should change my ATF at 30K, and he was like NO !!! Surprisingly according to him and the service manual, the first service shall be done near 60K only (I was wondering because i read on this forum there is always this debate about when to do flusing of ATF).. So I'm happy guy now.. bought my wife a perfume gift set for the money I saved - ofcourse discounted !!! lols

Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

What's with the $99? What happened to your warranty??

If the car runs OK, the first step in most troubleshooting procedures (even after reading the error code) is to reset & see whether it comes back.

Lots of us on here don't agree with Honda; don't believe that ATF should go that long. Personally, my solution is to buy a manual tranny - I don't like automatics!
Furthermore, Honda autos don't seem to like power-flushing. Drain & fill is the way to go.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
essdee
Unregistered

They said checking of the codes is not covered under warranty. Incase they would have found some hardware/part faulty Honda would have waived those $99 for 1 hr of labour to check the codes ... huh !!!

Well personally I will replace my tranny fluid at 45K !!! I think its kinda midway. and yes I'll do that 3X flush and go thing. I'll update whenever I do that.

I'm posting a new string, to discuss about some on board instant mpg thing. Let me know you view .
Thanks again.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Next time go to AutoZone or someplace like that to read the code. Most of those types of places do that for free. Come here with the actual code number (sometimes their explanations can get pretty creative).