General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light 99 accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:20 PM
has
Unregistered
Default Check engine light 99 accord

[&:]check engine light keeps turning on after rebuilding my tranny. computer sed it was the catalytic converter but that was changed so i changed the oxygen sensors and the sensors on the tranny itself. runnin out of ideas, thinkin of replacing exhaust. any1 wit this experience or any suggestions ?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Check engine light 99 accord

What was code? P0420?

Did you disconnect the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter? Exhaust leaks can cause P0420

good luck

Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
has
Unregistered

no i didnt do either after the new cat was welded on i just changed the sensors and thats the exact code i got P0420

n now that u say that im guessin that is my problem i have a leaksomewhere seems to beunder the distributor cap n the engine is always wet with oil, it seems that when the car is warm and running engine oil seeps out because see oil on the ground overnight and i've checked for that by leaving an old white sheet various times. i originally thought it could have been the tranny leaking. could it be a seal on the engine or something ? da car runs fine, but dat stupid light been pissin me off for 2 months ?

n thankz 4 ur reply

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0420 is difficult to remedy. I had this on a 99 Subaru Forester and after some time monitoring the rear O2 sensor output signal (which indicated bad converter), I replaced w/ an Eastern Catalytic Converter ( a bolt-on unit). It has cured the P0420 for over 1.5 yrs now.

Another "fix" is to fool the ECU. You can do this w/ a mechanical spacer for the rear O2 sensor. See attached link. http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5468

Oil leak may indicate need for a new oring on the distributor key rotor that connects to camshaft. This can leak and oil will be running out of cylinder head at the distributor.

good luck