General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light in 99 Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 AM
Default Check Engine light in 99 Accord V6

Hello everyone,

I know this is a common post, but I wanted some more specific feedback.

My 99 Accord V6 has been throwing the P0401 code for the last month or so intermittently. The car is not running rough or suffering any poor gas mileage - yet.

I have a detailed service bulletin that references the issue with the clogged EGR port on the underside of the intake manifold. I have also watched some youtube videos on how to take the intake off and clear the clog.

Does anyone have any experience doing this procedure, and if so, can anyone shed some light on the level of complexity for the average home mechanic? Other than a torque wrench and socket sets and other various hand tools, I have no Honda-specific tools, or experience working with pressured fuel systems. While I have worked on other cars in the past doing semi-complex repairs like replacing slave and master cylinders, rear main seals and the like, I have no experience working with fuel injection components and it looks fairly complicated.

I also need this car for commuting and at 161K, I am beginning to wonder if maybe it is time to sell the car and move on to something else. I dont have the time to keep doing big repairs on this car.

Is this procedure doable for the average home mechanic as a 1-day project? How long will the car likely run OK if this code is not cleared?

Any feedback on remedying this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

I would call this a fairly easy job.....take your time, yes there are some things that can be hard - "how the heck do I get that clamp off that hose", but nothing you won't figure out.

Send a PM to "5.0stang", I think they just did this - a week or so ago. I helped a friend a while back but that was over a year ago.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM

I have a '99 Honda Accord with 231k on it. I just did this EGR "clog" fix last week. It is fresh on my mind. It is a very easy job to do. I actually did it at night, using my porch light. If I can do it, you can do it. Takes maybe 2 hours, taking your time.

My car ran great before and had no poor gas mileage either, just like you. I did it more to get the light off. It has run with that light/code for the last 100k miles or so, so don't be in a hurry. I'll try to get you more detail on how to do it tomorrow, when I have some time. If I don't tomorrow, send me a PM! I'll be glad to help.

I actually have the drillbit you need, and can sell it for $35 (I think I bought it for $80-$100; can't remember because I bought it over a year ago). I don't really believe you need to sleeve technically, but that is just my opinion.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM

If you want my drillbit, I can ship it to you for $35. It came from 07ZAD-P8AA000 kit which includes the drillbit and sleeve install tool (which you don't need), it pushes in by hand easily. The drillbit has a guide on it, before it starts cutting, which really helps out.

You will want this kit: 06175-P8C-A01 (it has a new Honda EGR, EGR gasket, and sleeve to put in the port). That kit, plus the drillbit and some carb cleaner is all you need.

Follow this write-up:

http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/egr_port_clogging.pdf

Again, you just need the drillbit (that I have), couple cans of carb cleaner, and kit: 06175-P8C-A01.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

"Stang" - thanks for joining in on this

Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM

No prob.