General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Default Check Engine Light Question

I checked the engine light thing. Blinks four times then pauses, then 8 times. At the same time the green box around the D icon on the dash blinks as well. And the pause between the four blinks and the eight blinks is the same length as the pause between the 8 blinks and then back to the beginning to the 4 blinks. Help!

The cockpit of the car also smells of gas.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Default RE: Check Engine Light Question

its a 92 honda accord. Sorry.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 PM

could it be tha Crankshaft Position Sensor AND the Top Dead Center position sensor both at the same time? I see no code 48....
How do I fix this? Do i need to buy two new sensors and put them in? is this easy to do? I found the crankshaft positon sensor for about $124 online.......

Old 07-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Are the 4 blinks and 8 blinks from the check engine light? I would also post the codes that the D light is showing, because there is some other error stored in the Trans Contorl Unit.

Its strange that both sensors would go out at the same time. Both those sensors are connected through the same wire harness in the distributor. I pull the plug for the distributor and put some dielectric grease in there. I would take off the cap and make sure that the wires look in good shape. Also make sure no oil is bypassing the o-ring and screwing up the sensors.

There is an electrical test for those sensors in the shop manual. You have to measure the resistance for each sensor through that plug I mentioned earlier. There is also a ground wire that might need to be cleaned and tightened around the distributor as well.

Go to our DIY section and follow the link from hondahookup.com. There is a pdf of a 90 Accord Shop manual which should have the same distributor, since it is the same generation.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 AM

the D light blinks in accordance with the check engine light, just a little slower. 4 blinks then 8 blinks. It is also intermittant. Sometimes we'll start the car and no check engine light and it will run like a dream. other times it will crank for 3-4 seconds then finally fire up with the check engine light on.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure what is going on with the D light. Maybe others will voice their opinion.

A problem with either one of those two sensors in the distributor does cause a no start.

I would run through the electrical test in that shop manual to make sure everything is in spec. All you need is a digital volt meter. Also check distributor connections, etc.. like I suggested before.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 PM

Sounds good. Is the distributor a hard thing to work with?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:19 PM

not really, you just pop the cap off and then remove the rotor (be sure to note which direction it was facing) then most of the sensors/internals are visible, inspect all of your wires for a good clean contact, also make sure that your cap/rotor don't have any black lines, cracks or marks that would indicate it's arcing or firing across to a different point, if you have that issue replace the cap/rotor (note spark plug order first)