General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Gas Cap Error Message

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Default Check Gas Cap Error Message

On my way to work today, my odometer area on my 2006 4 cyl started showing an error message "Check Gas Cap". When I got to my first destination, I opened the fuel door, removed the cap and cranked it back down. When I started it up, it went back to this error message in about 30 seconds. Could a gas cap fail in just 2.5 years? Is there something else to check?

My fuel level is about 5 gallons as the low fuel light is not on, but getting close. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Gas Cap Error Message

The cap CAN go bad anytime it wants to, but it sure seems unusual. I've never had a gas cap go bad & I've had some cars up to 220k miles.

That error is probably P1456 for EVAP leak - gas tank.
What it REALLY means is your gas tank isn't airtight like it should be. Check the gasket of your gas cap, & look for cracked hoses alongside the fuel fill pipe in the rear wheel well. You might have to remove a cover panel...

Other possibilities include a dozen vacuum hoses down around the gas tank, as well as a pressure sensor for the gas tank. Even a gasket for the fuel pump flange, where it bolts into the tank; but if that were leaking you'd probably smell gasoline around the car.

But isn't your car under warranty?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM

Well, I now have over 37K miles on my car, so I believe, even with the extension from the lawsuit, I am out of warranty.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Warranty is 36k, right? Have you been a 'good customer' at your friendly dealer? I figure it's worth a phone call to see whether they'll 'goodwill' the work?

People say that happens, but I've never had a problem that close to the end of the warranty. My problems (I mean my CAR problems)have all been way WAY out of warranty.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 PM

OK. Another unusual thing, I think. After stopping again and opening and closing the cap, I only turned the key two clicks, just to run the accessories. The message came back. Seems strange that any sensor could tell this problem without the car running????
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

It stores the error from last time.

Your check-engine lamp is on, right? Go to AutoZone & have them read the check-engine error code. Get the actual number, not just the guys creative explanation.

It could be P1456 but if there's NO ERROR, then you might be looking at a crossed wire making that lamp come on without real reason.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM

No check engine light at this time. I am going to wait and see if the error goes away in the next few days. Some have said it can take 3-5 days after re-installing the fuel cap for it to re-set.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Ranch Hand
Unregistered

I had this happen on my 2008 Accord 4 cyl. Checked the cap, resealed it and error message is still there. I understand that the dealer/mech may have clear that error. Without causing any problems, I take it that this is still safe to drive...I smell no gas.

btw, I have less than 15K on the car.

tnx

Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 AM

[quote]I understand that the dealer/mech may have clear that error.[/quote

i thought u could just pull off the battery cable for a few minutes to clear the error message, and if it doesnt come back on then you got the problem fixed. it worked for me.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Strykaar
Unregistered

Even my 2008 Accord(v4) gives me the same error, after a while it went away. I took it to dealer he asked me to come back when the error message is displayed. I have only 7k on it.

Quick Reply: Check Gas Cap Error Message