General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clean egr ports 92 accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Default clean egr ports 92 accord

I did a little research and discovered the method for cleaning out the egr ports for my 92 Accord. Here's the link describing it: http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf
My understanding is I drill a small hole in these "removeable" plugs so I can get a screw attached to the end of a slide hammer screwed into the plugs and pull them out that way to be able to do the cleaning, then the plugs are apparently re-usable just tap them back in afterward and if I accidentally drilled all the way through I can fill it with epoxy or liquid weld or something. Anyone have any comments/tips/considerations before I attempt this undertaking? For one thing, I suppose I'd have to go buy a dang slide hammer, I don't have one and don't know of anybody from whom to borrow one.

Last edited by sgull; 06-30-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

A parts store may have them as a loaner tool. Harbor Freight is a good source for inexpensive tools for the DIY mechanic.

Here is another link on how to do the EGR ports on your car.

http://hondadude.webs.com/98-074EGR.gif

Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 PM

Okay thanks PAhonda for the helpful reply.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 AM

Bondo

This is what you want. You will not be reusing the old plugs at all. Just pick up a new set from Honda. I don't know the part number but they aren't much at all for the set.

That slide hammer is less than $20.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 AM

Keep in mind that you need a drill bit that is just barely smaller than the screw that comes with that kit. Drill the hole. Attach the screw on the slide hammer and lock it, then thread slide hammer into hole and use the middle sliding piece to pop the plug out. It should be very easy to pop it out.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Keep in mind that you need a drill bit that is just barely smaller than the screw that comes with that kit. Drill the hole. Attach the screw on the slide hammer and lock it, then thread slide hammer into hole and use the middle sliding piece to pop the plug out. It should be very easy to pop it out.
It says the screw that comes with that slide hammer is a #8 panhead. In the set of instructions linked to by PAhonda it says I need to use a 10 x 24 x 3 inch screw. Says to use a #25 drill bit to drill the hole, and to tap the hole for the screw first using a 10-24 tap. You mention (quoted above) to thread the screw in but don't mention tapping first. So is the tapping necessary? Probably. In that case I'll have to buy a tap set I guess in addition to the slide hammer.

I found the part number for the replacement plugs from Honda: 7199-PT3-AHM Apparently they are hollow bowl shaped, different than the original solid bowl shaped brass ones I'll be needing to get out. They cost about 50 cents each from my closest dealer, who says he'll have to order them. That means I'll have to wait like at least a week to get them. That's why if it's at all practical to somehow be able to just re-use the old plugs I'd like to maybe go that route instead of having to wait. I'm unclear on the drilling/tapping. Do I drill and then tap threads all the way through the plugs, or just part of the way?

Last edited by sgull; 07-01-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You will almost certainly drill through 1 or more plugs. I drilled through 2 on my formerly owned 90Ex. I used J&B epoxy to plug them and never had any problems.

good luck

Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM

Okay I got what I need except for the slide hammer. A punch ("***** punch", although instructions said "center punch", I guess it's the same thing and will work to make a center indentation for my drill bit), the #25 drill bit, the 10-24 tap (and a tap handle), and the 10 x 24 x 3 inch screw.

TexasHonda you mention using J&B epoxy to plug any holes I might drill through the plugs. First of all, should I try to avoid drilling all the way through the plugs? Wouldn't it be easier to just drill all the way through the plugs and that way maybe the screw gets threaded more securely. Also, I have some JB Weld, is that the same as this J&B epoxy you mention, or should work just as well if not? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails clean egr ports 92 accord-img_2283_zpsd39cab01.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would try to avoid drilling all the way through to avoid dropping aluminum chips into the intake manifold. Engine will have to eat them if you do.

I was able to avoid punching through but you have to drill deep enough for screw to hold securely. I pulled one screw out. You need to minimize the slam force on the slide hammer. Try easy first and that should do. The plugs are not super tight, at least mine weren't.

Yes, J&B Weld is epoxy.

good luck

Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Okay I'll try to avoid drilling all the way through. I happen to already have the intake manifold removed, and will be doing the drilling/cleaning with it off the engine. So I suppose if I do drill all the way through I can easily just shake out any aluminum chips. How big around is the port hole down in there anyway? About the size of the #25 drill bit?
Also, I asked around a little, and a guy said he had one of those little slide hammers I could borrow for the job. So I guess I'm set. Thanks for the helpful replies.

Last edited by sgull; 07-02-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: clean egr ports 92 accord