General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clicking noise when I try to start the car??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Default clicking noise when I try to start the car??

Hello. I have an 89 honda accord fuel injected. Lately the car has been making a clicking noise when I turn the key to start it up. Sometimes it will finally start after about twenty times. I replaced the alt. last year as well as put a new battery in at that time. Is this a starter problem? Im not even sure where the starter is on this vehicle. Any advice would be much appreciated thanx

Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

starter going bad.
I had mine rebuilt for $40
It works perfect now

Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

TEST first before replacing...saves money.

Is there any pattern to this...in the mornings this happens but once you start it, it is fine until it sits for @ x amount of time? Or is it random.

Where is the clicking coming from, under the dash, under the hood?

Are the connections on the battery cables (both ends of both cables) clean and tight.

Have the battery tested, most parts stores will do this in the parking lot-see second point though.

Have the starter tested.-starter is can be seen from the right/pass side of the car. Almost right under where the lower hose connects to the engine....need pic's let me know.

EDIT: If the replacement was fairly recent, should be a warranty on the starter. Also, even the least expensive batteries should have a 12 month free replacement and then a pro-rated replacement after that.

Last edited by poorman212; 04-18-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 AM

Im pretty sure the clicking noise is from under the hood. I havent confirmed that yet though. I checked the batt cables and cleaned the terminals on the batt as well a week ago. Its pretty much random. I think I see the starter but its burried under some wires and stuff. I want to get to it though and check the connections on it and maybe take it in to have it tested. Thanx for all your help.....it was really helpful

Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Coming off the Pos side of the battery the cable "splits" into two. One will go to the under hood relay box. The other goes to the starter. If you remove the air intake "tube" that goes from the pass fender to the air cleaner you can have a better view. The attached is from the 88 LXi Auto. You'll see a bit of "green" center/left-that is the starter. I tried to draw a yellow line to where the pos cable connects to the starter...

EDIT: Still suggest having the batter tested. Do you have a volt meter?

Attached Thumbnails clicking noise when I try to start the car??-starter-88-lxi.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 04-19-2011 at 07:13 PM.