General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't Start and main relay makes clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 PM
crazymikeyo5
Unregistered
Default Car won't Start and main relay makes clicking noise

I have a 94 Honda Accord DX with a 2.2L Vtec. Recently my car started dying on me and when it did i noticed the main relay would start clicking constantly and my check engine light would flicker on and off. When the check engine light goes off it would start fine and run fine sometimes for a few days. Then you see the check engine light come on again and main relay clicks again constantly. I have already replaced the main relay and with the new one still has the same problem. Been trying to figure out how to fix it for a week already and can't figure out anything. Sometimes car starts up fine and runs for about 5 mins then shuts off. Other times check engine light just stays on and car won't start. Thanks to any info that can help.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
crazymikeyo5
Unregistered
Default RE: Car won't Start and main relay makes clicking noise

Sorry I posted in the wrong area. If a moderator could please move it to the proper location thanks. Again sorry for post in wrong area.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

There, Imoved it for ya.

Maybe a flaky electrical part of the ignition switch?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 AM

A few things could be causing your problem:

1. The Electrical Part of the ignition switchHonda Part # 35130-SV4-003. If this is the problem you will have other problems as well. These problems could include the speedometer acting weird while driving, theradio cutting out, the heater blower motor cutting out. In other words, other electrical components that are powered thru the ign. switch would most likely be showing symptoms as well. Also, if the electrical part of the ignition switch is the problem, you should be able to hold the key in the ignition switch between run and start (just before the starter motor engages) and keep the engine running and the main relay silentif the contacts are worn enough to cause this problem.

2. A loose ground. The main relay is grounded thru the black wire going into the relay connector. This wire is grounded at the intake manifold, on the side just below where it says PGM-FI, between the manifold and the master cylinder reservior (G101 in the Honda ETM). Make sure this main junction ground is clean and tight. To double check this, when the car starts acting up or won't start, check that black wire going into the main relay, if it isn't grounded, the main relay won'twork.

3. Check your fuse panels. The underhood fuse block has been known to have problems where the plugs connect underneath the fuse block. You can unbolt the fuse panel and raise up a few inches where you can see the plugs. If there is a problem, you will see the connecting plugs will be either melted a little or there will be a blue-ish corrosion around the plugs themselves. This will only be a possibility in the under hood fuse panel and not the under dash panel. Also check the connection and snug fit of the fuses. The underdash fuse panel has fuses # 2 and #9 powering the PGM-FI system and the under hood fuse panel has fuse # 33 powering.

One of these is most likely your problem and should get you in business

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I believe in the DIY section there is a thread by Desert Honda about diagnosing "My car won't start"

Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
crazymikeyo5
Unregistered

::UPDATE::

So im completely stumped today car ran fine for 45 mins on idle this morning. Drove around town was fine, then later on tonight started acting up again. I have checked almost every ground wire i can think of. Even unplugged wires and reconnected just to reseed them. At one point it seemed that sparks were coming from close to the thermastat but i wasn't able to reproduce it. The Main Relay still clicks sometimes rapidly sometimes only once and the car won't start as long as the Check Engine Light is on. Take key out and put back in check engine light turns off and car will turn back on. Sometimes for 10 seconds a minute or even 30 minutes until the Main Relay starts clicking again and check engine light comes on then car shuts off. If anyone else has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what is the code stored in the ecu ???

Also ,,,chk the gound at thermostat housing , black wire at t-stat housing below lower rad hose , make sure that it is tight and also not corroded ..

Old 05-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Check all you wire harnesses from rubbing on any metal, shorting out somewere will make all this electrical problems at times. Make surenone of them has rubbed thru and touching ground. Start from the battery through outthe engine compartment. Also check for loose connectors or wires pulled from the pin inside the connectors.