General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Accord Ex F22A6 Cutting out - Main Relay Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Default 93 Accord Ex F22A6 Cutting out - Main Relay Clicking

Hey guys, cross posted on a couple different forums because I'm racking my brain on this.

About 3 weeks ago my perfectly running 93 Accord W/291K on the clock start cutting out on the freeway. No rhyme or reason. Every time it stalled out the battery light would flicker and I could hear a relay pulling in and out at my feet. Skip forward a couple weeks and I've discovered its the main relay pulling in and out (Not sure if that's the cause or a symptom). Thing is, it usually only does it on the way into town (10 miles?) and then come out to leave a little bit later and it does fine the whole way home.

Got a couple videos of what its doing too.

Thanks for the help guys. I've checked a bunch of grounds under the hood. Someone mentioned it could be a bad alternator or something, so I pulled the 4 pin green connector and the main wire on the alternator and ran the car without it. Did the exact same thing. So to me, that rules out the alternator.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

The battery light is actually the charge system indicator lamp. More than likely, it is an issue with the alternator or cable connections.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The battery light is actually the charge system indicator lamp. More than likely, it is an issue with the alternator or cable connections.
understood, so as I mentioned in the OP I actually un-hooked all the cables on the alternator. The problem still persisted but this time the check engine light flickered. I've cleaned up all the ground connections that i can find as well. The best thing I have to go on right now is the main relay clicking every time it stalls. But its not the typical "Main Relay" issue. So either something in front on the main relay is opening and dropping out the main relay, or for some reason the main relay is the problem.

Last edited by SlimGoaty; 04-25-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

I did read already that you unhooked the alternator connector and cable; however, that doesn't mean it is not an alternator or charging issue.

The main relay can click if the battery is getting very low.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Reduced battery voltage (bad battery, battery main wires or connections) could produce symptoms seen.

good luck

Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I did read already that you unhooked the alternator connector and cable; however, that doesn't mean it is not an alternator or charging issue.

The main relay can click if the battery is getting very low.
Alright, I'll try hooking up a different battery. Do you think piggybacking a jump starter to the car would suffice?

Just crazy that it could be a battery issue since it goes away about 5-7 minutes after you start driving the car, so far atleast. I quit driving it last week because I didn't want to get stranded somewhere.