General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main relay burns out

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Default Main relay burns out

Hi Guys

I have a 2001 accord that has been giving me starting and stalling issues for a while.

After changing battery,inertia switch,distributor and main relay i have finally deduced that its the main relay that is causing me the probelms.

After I changed out thar was main relay the car drove fine for 5 days and did not give me ssies with starting or stalling. On the 6th day the car starting displaying the same issues with starting. On the 10th day the car is now doing excatly what it was doing before. So i took out the relay and can see that its burnt out like the one i changed over 2 weeks ago. I would like to know whats causing it to do this and how i can check to see whats burning (cracks on circuit board) out the relay.

Thanks

Sam

Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Something is making it burn out, don't assume it's the relay's faut.

Go back to unplug the fuel pump & check the (+) side of that circuit for any continuity to ground. If the pump is going bad it might be drawing too much current. Check & measure stuff, don't just keep throwing parts at it.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Default Help

Hi Jim

I will check the pump. I must mention that the car only stalls once and then can be driven for 5/6 hours without issues. It gives me starting problems only after sitting for a while. So i guess the fuel pump is acting up i.e losing pressure over night and as a result drawing too much current? is that possible

Thanks so much for your time

Sam

Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Sam,I had a similar problem on another car.The problem turned out to be the wiring and connector going into the relay.It kept burning out in the same spot.
It was bad.

DO make sure theres not an overload though,as the other post said.Make sure its not getting too much there.Unplug everything and see if the wire under the connector to the relay isnt burned,melted or fried.I found no shorts or overload of current.

My fix was to repair the harness with a new one.I bought a new connector that came with new wires,cut off the old connector and attached the new one to it.

FIXED!