General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound under glovebox causes ABS light to turn on and radio to turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM

mine finaly let the code out of abs it was a 1 and an 8 can u tell me what the code means

Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Only if you want to tell us what kind of car you're talking about...

Old 09-11-2010, 04:34 PM

my car that let out the codes for the abs is a honda accord 1994 lx the codes are a 1 and a 8

Old 09-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

1 is the O2 sensor.

8 is the TDC sensor in the distributor.

Just to be thorough, when the CEL flashed 1, was it a long blink or a short blink?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Corrosion like that sometimes indicates hairline cracks in the plastic battery case...
Sears installed the battery 16 months ago. Was not happly when I found recently they hadn't included the felt pads. First time in forever that I didn't install a battery myself. I always included the pads. Thanks for the tip on a possible crack...I'll keep an eye on that. Since the car lives inside and it's been a dry summer here in Colorado, morning dew shouldn't be an issue.

Car's been running fine since my previous post.

(Know the felt pads well...worked in an auto parts/supply store 38 years ago.)

Old 09-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Ok, I know it's a reach. I know that when the volts or amps (?) are not enough the ABS light will come one...
Wow. The ABS light has been coming on sporadically for the past 18 months or so. Hadn't connected the two issues. Is that a sign I should replace the alternator?

My mechanic diagnosed it as something else and did some work to correct it. (Don't remember what he did.) He said at the time the fix didn't always work. The fix did seem to work for awhile, but after a few months the light started coming on again from time to time.

Last edited by gleapman; 09-11-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 09-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't go for the alternator just yet. I'm thinking the corrosion was causing the lack of volts/amps needed. For now, assuming the light is staying off, I'd just add the pad protectors and keep an eye on it. If the issue comes back and there is no corrosion on the battery then I would look at having the alternator fully tested.

I know the click, had a bad abs sensor on the front left/drivers side. When I would first start to drive, CLICK by the glovebox and abs light came on...

Old 09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If ABS light comes on and stays on when keyswitch is turned OFF to ON, there is a code stored that can be extracted by shorting the service check connector, turning keyswitch On, and reading the ABS light flashes.

ABS light flash code is different than ECU flash code. there is a 2 sec ON (bulb check), followed by 2 sec OFF, followed by all-short code flashes. For example, code 4-2 is 4 shorts, 1 sec pause, 2 shorts. I believe this is same for all 94-97 Accords, but I'm unsure about earlier models. There are approx. 25 different codes.

To "catch a code" which does not reappear after turning keyswitch from OFF to ON, you need to be ready to short the service check connector w/o turning engine off. ABS controller apparently resets and checks system every time you turn OFF-ON.

I've repaired a couple of ABS modulators, a BMW 318is and Acura 2.2CL (shares same ABS system as 94-97 Accord). Some common faults for the 94-97 accord ABS are wheel sensors, leaking body plugs (TSB on this problem), leaking internal valves, and leaking accumulator seal. Some problems are not repairable and modulator must be replaced (OEM modulator is $900 last time I looked), so used is way to go. You can buy the 94-97 modulator for <$100 used using car-part.com to find a local part or order from salvage yard.

good luck

Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Great info. I'm printing it out tonight to keep in the car.

I'll try to get the pads on this weekend. As for when the ABS light is coming on, frankly I don't notice when it happens. I'll start tracking that and get it to the mechanic to read the code if it comes on when I first start the engine. (I stopped being my own mechanic when I retired the 77 Subaru in 1993. I think the old timing light is around here somewhere.)

Old 06-23-2022, 03:32 PM
Default radio stops, clicking behind glovebox starts, abs light flickers

Hello. I see that this is an old thread, but found it because my old 95 Honda Accord is doing exactly this. Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I hope someone will see this question. thanks

Quick Reply: Clicking sound under glovebox causes ABS light to turn on and radio to turn off