General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Default Clutch?

Well ive been assuming i had a clutch issue and today it got worse. Driving home I slammed the gas to pass this guy and my engine went like normal but the car barely moved. I could smell rubber burning. It happens in every gear now and the engine just races as I accelerate and i can smell rubber.

2000 accord Lx vtech 4-cyl 5-spd

Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Clutch?

Slipping clutch is the sign of a clutch on its way of dying,Also check your slave cylinder,you can get a friend to help you look and see if it is actually engaging the gears properly.

Worst case scenario,Just buy a new clutch, which would come with new pressure plate, alignment tool,throw out bearing and pilot bearing.

Good luck

Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM

I got my car back from the shop 700 dollars later and it works great. I have noticed that now when i hot 4500 rpm the engine kicks off. I know honda has a rev limiter on my car but it never engaed before the new clutch. What is the standard rpm for the limiter? I thought my vtech kicked in at 4000rpm which wouldnt make much sense to put the limiter at 4500 right?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 PM

You shouldn't hit any limiter until 6250 rpms. Try pulling the ECU fuse or disconnecting the battery for a while and take it for a spin.

FYI - Clutches have a break in period and you should be going easy on it for the first 500 miles or so.

VTEC engages as low as 2000rpm depending on your driving, this was proven by attaching an LED to the VTEC signal wire.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:15 PM

Do you think this could just be the new clutch slipping because its under stress during the break in period? What kind of break-in symptoms can i expect?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:16 PM

Oh, and i stomped it twice on the way home to check out the work they did. Do you think I did any damage?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Azrael
Do you think this could just be the new clutch slipping because its under stress during the break in period? What kind of break-in symptoms can i expect?
Clutch could be slipping, but they're not related. A slipping clutch is indicated when the speedometer reads one speed and the tachometer says the engines spinning a lot faster than it should. Like 4,000 rpm @ 60mpg in 5th gear would be bad, should be around 2500. there aren't any symptoms when braking it in, just taking it easy so the clutch disc develops maximum grip. 500 miles isn't that bad, the 1500 I put on for my clutch was.

Originally Posted by Azrael
Oh, and i stomped it twice on the way home to check out the work they did. Do you think I did any damage?
Probably no damage done besides glazing the clutch a little, which will wear off. City driving is good to break a clutch in, its the heat cycles that count.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM

Just makes me wonder what i was experiencing. I took off in 1st and as soon as I got a lil over 4200 rpm it jerked like a damn turbo was kicking in, but then nothing and the car wouldnt engage again untill i let it rpms drop back down. Then everything was fine. Almost fellt like it kicked out of gear but it didnt.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Definitely the description of hitting the limiter. Feels like hitting a wall, getting jerked forward and not being able to go anywhere until the rpms back down. Something is wrong.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 PM

Hahaha.... I cannot believe I forgot. What they likely did is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is not plugged in tightly or dirty connector. Mine did the exact same thing for the past 9 months after changing out the clutch. Went and cleaned the connector and haven't had an issue since. It's a pain to get to, but possible. It's on transmission housing directly below the thermostat housing. Pretty much in the back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch?