General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch feels totally different, what could be the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Default Clutch feels totally different, what could be the problem?

So last Friday, I parked the car after driving home from work and didn't drive it pretty much all weekend until Monday I think. I start up the car to move it and my clutch feels totally different. I feel no pressure at all pushing down on it, until about half way close to the ground. I can literally just push it down without any pressure at all and it'll come right back up like a bouncy ball.

Now the clutch literally engages like about two centimeters off the ground. It definitely wasn't like this before and it's getting me worried because I don't want to end up on the side of the road because my clutch dies out or something. The clutch isn't slipping at all so I don't know could be the problem. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

EDIT -

So I finally got the new master clutch cylinder in and now I have no pressure on the clutch at all. I tried bleeding the clutch but it doesn't seem to be working. I had my brother push on the clutch five times then hold it in then I would loosen the bleed bolt and I would only see the fluid coming out. Is the car suppose to be on when you're doing this? Am I doing something wrong to not get any pressure on my clutch?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Default RE: Clutch feels totally different, what could be the problem?

You need to checkthe clutch master and slave cylinders. A leaking seal can cause the pedal to go "to the floor." You can see the slave cylinder, it's right below the starter. It looks like a cast iron twinkie with a rubber bellows on the end. It's easy to see when it leaks - pull back the boot and look forthe creamy filling, er leaking hydraulic fluid. The master cylinder is better protected, but if it leaks it might dribble into the driver's side toeboard. You can replace each cylinder separately, or get a reseal kit for them. I had very good luck resealing my slave cylinder, but YMMV. The seal kit was cheap - $14.00. The cylinders are more like 60-75 each.

That it failed so suddenly makes me think it has to be a seal that finally gave up. I'd look closely at the slave cylinder, because it's "out there in the elements."

Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM

good points. start with checking the clutch master cylinder fluid level.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Is there a DIY guide that I can read to replace the cylinders?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 AM

This morning when I started up the car, I can't shift into gear! It seems that when the car is off, I can shift into gear but when I turn on the car, I can't shift into gear. Do you think changing the slave or master cylinder will fix the problem?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That sounds like a good assumption ..... did you ever check the fluid level???

Old 01-03-2008, 01:43 PM

I bought a new master clutch cylinder, now I'm having a hard time unscrewing the clutch pipe. I put some WD-4 on it and I'm still having a hard time unscrewing it. What did you guys use to loosen it up? Its pissing me off I can't get it loosen.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

is the old one bad?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Quick question, the master cylinder on the car is totally different then the one that was purchased. The one I bought look like this http://www.carpartswholesale.com/who...d-9472315.html but the one on the car has a spot for the reservoir. Is this going to be a problem?

Quick Reply: Clutch feels totally different, what could be the problem?