General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch hard engagement after install

Old 06-26-2015, 09:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Clutch hard engagement after install

Good news is that after rebuilding my engine, running great.

Bad news is that when I went to attempt the road test there was an issue with the clutch which I had replaced with an exedy (OEM for Honda). The original flywheel was checked for flatness and skim cut. Aligned and installed without any issues.
Can move through all the gears without issue when the engine is off.

The problem is that I cannot put into any gear, with the clutch pedal in, when the engine is running. Starts to shudder if I start to try to gently force. It almost seems that the release bearing is not engaging far enough even though the pedal is moving the release fork a good couple of inches.

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong on the install? If necessary, I will remove transmission but want to see if there are any other options first.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If slave cylinder is moving full throw, then something w/ new clutch installation is the problem (not disengaging).

good luck

Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

What would be considered the ~ full throw for the slave cylinder? A couple inches or more?

I had also replaced the master and slave cylinders at the same time as the clutch and went ahead rebled the hydraulic system and a few bubbles came out which I hope is the problem.

What would be other issues with the friction, pressure plate installation that could potentially cause this problem?

Tied up today so plan to see if re-bleeding the hydraulic system makes a difference tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I did not find a spec on clutch slave cylinder throw, but looking at the part I would estimate throw at < 2" and > 1".

Did you check replacement clutch plate thickness vs. spec (8.4-9 mm). If replacement was thicker it could cause problems w/ disengagement.

Release fork not properly engaged to release bearing would prevent clutch disengagement. Were details of release fork installation (release fork bolt engagement), etc closely followed?

good luck

Old 07-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

My memory of this isn't very clear, so try searching old threads.
I think I remember someone having similar troubles which turned out to be the clutch disk was installed backwards. (The center hub sticks out farther on one side vs. the other.)