General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Master or Slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Default Clutch Master or Slave cylinder?

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if anyone could help me out. A couple of days back I went to start my 96 honda accord when I realised that there was no resistence at all in the clutch pedal - if fact if I push it all the way to the floor, it doesn't even spring back!
I realise this is likely a leak in either the master or slave cylinder - or even in the connecting pipe work.
I feel fairly confident that I could resolve this problem with my limited mechanic skills (and limited tool kit!!) but I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to how to tell if it's the master or slave that needs replacing? The only thing I can say is that inside the car, around the clutch pedal, there does not appear to be any leaked fliud. Does anyone know of a simple, effective test I could do to be certain?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default What to look for

Look for hydraulic fluid leaking at the slave cylinder. If you see that some has run down the front of the transmission bellhousing under where the slave mounts, it's more than likely the slave cylinder. To check the master, from the inside of the footwell, you'll have to remove the boot that's over the shaft that leads into it. If the shaft is wet behind that boot, then it's likely the master. Msster Honda techs will tell you that slaves almost never go out, but I've seen both slave and master fail (at different times).

Old 05-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Also the master can fail in a way that leaks back into the reservoir. Doesn't leak OUT. The slave can only leak out.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Bleeding the system of air can be a major chore;
Go to the local farm coop and get a big syringe and some little tubing that will fit the bleeder nipple at the slave.
Leave the clutch pedal down.
Force fluid from the slave back up to the master.
This shoves the air UP instead of trying to pull it DOWN thru the slave bleeder.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Default thanks

so i looked in the footwell with a flashlight, and could see no fluid up there, and no sign of leakage from the inside.
There was little sign of leakage in the slave's area either, so I'm a bit lost... Open the bleed nut on the slave and bleed it (I saw the resevoir was low so topped that up), but still no pressure on the pedal..

Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help guys!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

How did you bleed it? Push fluid INTO the slave like Dude said?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if no leaks from slave or master, chk for a leaky line

Old 05-13-2010, 06:03 AM

Ok thanks guys - I'll give that a try. Appreciate all the help!