General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch Pedal goes all the way to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Default Clutch Pedal goes all the way to the floor

Hello all.

This is my first post on the site and I have owned several Hondas over the years since 1993. I am currently having an issue with my Accord.

I own a 1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr. with the 2.2L engine in case that is needed. Over the last several months, every so often, my clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor. Over the course of my research I've done, I learned that to get it going again, I needed to refill the clutch fluid receptacle. (I know thats not the right term, but I'm hoping you know what I mean.) At first, this was an apparent slow leak in that I only needed to refill it about once every few months before the pedal went down again. Well, lately, that has turned into refilling it 1-2 times a week so i can drive it.

So my question is, can someone with much more experience than myself maybe explain what the problem is? Also, is this something fairly simple I can fix myself or will this be costing me a fair amount of money to take it somewhere?

Thank in advance and glad to join the site!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Clutch Pedal goes all the way to the floor

It sounds like you have a leaking master cylinder or slave cylinder for the clutch. They sell rebuild kits with new seals and brand new units as well. I couldnt tell you which one it is, hopefully someone else can.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. If it is one of these, is this something a novice who thinks he knows more than he does should take on himself or should I just pay somebody so I don't royally screw up my car and cost me more money.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Hmm.... I've never had to replace or rebuild one. I know that the slave cylinder should be easy, its attached to the transmission housing with two bolts and youd have to follow the hydraulic line back to the master cylinder and unscrew the fitting to replace it.

Someone whos done it before should chime in...

A Haynes manual will do you wonders, and a Helm manual will make you a God amongst men in terms of Accords, but the latter is much more expensive than the books you pick up at the parts store.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

In the DIY section, the online manuals thread has links to sites with a 94 shop manual. The 94 accord is pretty much identical to your 96.

Since you are leaking fluid, you should try to locate the leak. Look under that reservoir and also inside of the car when the master cylinder goes through the firewall. The carpeting under it will be stained too. Follow the line to the slave cylinder and pull back the boot to see if fluid has collected in there.

Finch is right. The slave cylinder is pretty simple to do. You need line wrenches to remove the flare nut. I removed the end closer to the engine, and pulled out the slave cylinder with the hard line attached at its end.

The master cylinder is simple to do, but the bolts holding it against the firewall are tight. You just have to be patient. The pin that holds the master cylinder to the clutch pedal in your car is a bit of a pain to remove.