General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:11 PM
lowdrag
Unregistered
Default clutch replacement

I have an 89 accord 5 speed. I have to replace the CV joints and figured I would do the clutch at the same time. How hard is it? Also where is the clutch master cylinder located? IS it tied into the brake master cylinder? Thanks

Old 05-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: clutch replacement

ORIGINAL: lowdrag

I have an 89 accord 5 speed. I have to replace the CV joints and figured I would do the clutch at the same time. How hard is it? Also where is the clutch master cylinder located? IS it tied into the brake master cylinder? Thanks

Hello lowdrag,, and welcome to HAF..........

First off your car DOES NOT have a clutch master cylinder that started in 90 acords,, your car has a clutch cable.
there is a write up on this DIY section on hot to replace axles,,, why are you doing clutch at same time ?? is it needed ? or just because you are doing axles you figure you do the clutch as well ?

As for clutch replacement ,, i would strongly suggest that you buy a service manual www.helminc.com ..and follow directions..
I can give you instructions but there are a lot of things to remove and a bit of a long process,

let me know what you decide

Old 05-28-2006, 07:41 PM
lowdrag
Unregistered

Deserthonda:

It is my sisters car. Her CV's are shot and her boyfriend told her that her clutch is going out. I have not driven the car yet. Is there a good test to see if it is going bad. I am going to fix the CV problem and I figured since I was removing the axles, I would replace the clutch. We also do not know when the clutch was last replaced. I am in town for a week and usually the car goes to the mechanic but since I am in town I figured I would help save her some money, so I am trying not to buy the manual. It has been about 5 years since I have removed the transmission on a front wheel drive car. Thanks for your help

Old 05-28-2006, 07:49 PM

you can try a quick test to see if clutch is slipping/////////

drive the car in a safe area, empty parking lot,,,, accell in 4th gear, and push in a d release clutch quickly,, look at the rpm , if rpm flare up..
, it is an indication clutch is slipping , Also look at how much adjustment is left on the clutch cable , if very few threads left at the top side of the adjuster nut, clutch is on its last leg..

Old 05-29-2006, 03:28 PM
lowdrag
Unregistered

deserthonda:

Thanks for the help. Where is the clutch adjuster located? Thanks again.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:29 PM
lowdrag
Unregistered

I drove the car today. I performed the test that you said. I got it in 4th gear going about 40 mph (2000 RPM) and pushed the clutch in and out. The RPM's went right back to 2000. I just want to make sure I did this correctly. Was I supposed to be accelerating or cruising. I did the test while at cruising speed. Thanks for your help deserthonda.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:21 PM

deserthonda:

Thanks for the help. Where is the clutch adjuster located? Thanks again.

you adjust the clutch free play right at the cable,, there is a cable that runs across the frt of the engine and goes down into the tranny, next to lower radiator hose, there is a plastic nut in it, you either tighten or loosen the nut according if you want to give it more free play or remove free play........

pull up on the clutch lever where the cable goes in,, you should have a bit of free play there ,( 1/8-1/4), if no free play turn the nut counter clock to give it some play .. if too much fre play, turn it clock wise to remove free play..

Old 05-29-2006, 05:24 PM

I drove the car today. I performed the test that you said. I got it in 4th gear going about 40 mph (2000 RPM) and pushed the clutch in and out. The RPM's went right back to 2000. I just want to make sure I did this correctly. Was I supposed to be accelerating or cruising. I did the test while at cruising speed. Thanks for your help deserthonda.

Firsdt off ,,you are welcome , that's why we are here for to help one another ...
sounds like you did the test ok,, and it sounds like clutch is not slipping at this time .. so the call is yours ,,
If you do decide to replace the clutch make sure that you get the flywheel resurfaced ..and while it is apart, replace the rear main seal

Old 05-29-2006, 05:27 PM
lowdrag
Unregistered

I don't think that I am going to replace it. If it had slipped some I would but I don't really want to do it since it seems fine. This is one of the best forums I have been on. Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:29 PM

I don't think that I am going to replace it. If it had slipped some I would but I don't really want to do it since it seems fine. This is one of the best forums I have been on. Thanks again for your help.

you are welcome ,, and thanks for the compliment on our forum,, spread the word

like i told you before if you plan on replacing the axles , there is a write up on the DIY section..

If you get any future questions ask away

Quick Reply: clutch replacement